Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
One advantage of using full synthetic oil is that you only need to be concerned about mileage.
When using natural oils, vehicle mfg. would say change your oil at 3000 miles OR 3 months.
The reason: natural oils quickly attract bacteria and bacteria will start breaking down the oils regardless of mileage.
Synthetic oils do not attract bacteria like natural oils so now mfg usually just list mileage for oil change intervals.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Castrol makes a semi- Syn. "Activo" and a full Syn. "Power 1" for MC Both are JASO M-2 and API SL. Their "GO!" is also JASO M-2, but API SG. Other than to tout additives, the label reads nothing about synthetics, so I can assume that the GO! is a dino...?

Has anyone tried Castrol? It's reasonably priced by the gallons online....and it's available for similar pricing at my local auto-parts store.

I do wish Rotilla (T6) would re-apply their JASO rating....my Road Star was smooth as silk on that. Feeling the heat that comes off the new Venture, I can't imagine a 50 flows any less efficiently than a 40 in that engine, but I won't mind being corrected...

·
Registered
554 Posts
i've been using Amsoil for the past several years. 1yr/10K miles between oil changes, and independent testing shows it has higher viscosity and other scientific stuff than other brands. even when i reach the end of my oil cycle there is no degradation in clutch performance. i once used Castrol a while back when i changed out my clutch plates because i didn't want to wait for an order of amsoil to come in. after about 3,000 miles there began to be considerable clutch slippage. switched back to Amsoil and no issues ever since.
You're riding in the same temperatures I am. I think I'm going to give amsoil a try next time. My oil changes seem to indicate I could go considerably further than 5k between changes but don't want to with the non-synthetics I normally use.

BTW, K&N kn-204 filter, and between the 650 and 950 I've used valvoline, yamalube, castrol gtx. 10w-40 conventional. No noticeable differences.

Not that it matters, but just curious: I wonder if amsoil oil additive is part of the formula in their motor oil? I've considered trying their oil additive in the cars and bike.

·
Registered
229 Posts
One advantage of using full synthetic oil is that you only need to be concerned about mileage.
When using natural oils, vehicle mfg. would say change your oil at 3000 miles OR 3 months.
The reason: natural oils quickly attract bacteria and bacteria will start breaking down the oils regardless of mileage.
Synthetic oils do not attract bacteria like natural oils so now mfg usually just list mileage for oil change intervals.
Authentic Poser, this was great information. I did not know about the bacteria factor in natural oils.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Castrol makes a semi- Syn. "Activo" and a full Syn. "Power 1" for MC Both are JASO M-2 and API SL. Their "GO!" is also JASO M-2, but API SG. Other than to tout additives, the label reads nothing about synthetics, so I can assume that the GO! is a dino...?

Has anyone tried Castrol? It's reasonably priced by the gallons online....and it's available for similar pricing at my local auto-parts store.

I do wish Rotilla (T6) would re-apply their JASO rating....my Road Star was smooth as silk on that. Feeling the heat that comes off the new Venture, I can't imagine a 50 flows any less efficiently than a 40 in that engine, but I won't mind being corrected...
I don't trust anything from Castrol simply because they are the company that started bottling group III conventional oil and labeling it full synthetic. When Mobil went to the National Advertising Division (NAD) and filed a complaint NAD sided with Castrol and said it was perfectly fine to label group III conventional oil as full synthetic oil, Mobil argued that full synthetic oil is produced in a lab and explained the difference between a full true group IV PAO/group V Ester oil, NAD said that hydro cracking conventional oil was good enough to label it full synthetic.

The truth is when you buy a group III hydro cracked oil the molecules are still different sizes and shapes and will break down while a true full synthetic group IV PAO and group V Ester every molecule is identical and resists breaking down for a far longer period of time. Another big advantage of group V Ester synthetic oil is it is a positive charge so it clings to metal parts providing superior lubrication.

Castrol will never see the inside of any of my combustion engines.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts