Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 1100 Custom and wanted to know if there is any reason I could not use Amsoil 20w50 in this bike?
My manual lists 15W40, but later manuals show that 20W50 oil can be used.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Use it works great

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My two cents

Yamaha has changed their mind the 20 w 50 is what they seem to recomend now. As I understand Amsoil is designed for motorcycles. Should be OK

Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the risk of starting a "which oil is best" discussion, I just had the 600 mi. service done on my VStar 950. I took the bike to a well known shop in town and had them put in Spectro Gold 20W50 @ $8.99/qt.

They had AMSOIL but wanted $12.99/qt. for it. Heard plenty of good about Spectro so went with it.

So far....smooth shifting and bike purrs. I've noticed a decrease in vibration around 65 as well.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
At the risk of starting a "which oil is best" discussion, I just had the 600 mi. service done on my VStar 950. I took the bike to a well known shop in town and had them put in Spectro Gold 20W50 @ $8.99/qt.

They had AMSOIL but wanted $12.99/qt. for it. Heard plenty of good about Spectro so went with it.

So far....smooth shifting and bike purrs. I've noticed a decrease in vibration around 65 as well.
The "which oil is best" discussion can go on till the cows come home, everyone has their own beliefs. Sugar Bear has posted before he does not believe there is a "best". I run 20-50 Castrol xtra 4t, is it THE best? no, it's what I like and works for me. $5.50 qt, I buy it a case or two at a time, my shop guy buys it by the truck load to get a deal on priceing, and passes it on to his customers. If it works for you and you are happy with what you use, then that is the best.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was taught to find a brand you like and stick with it. I do know that air cooled engines like the 20w50 viscosity oil. After all if they use it in airplanes it must be good for an air cooled motorcycle. After all aren't we close to being airborne flying down the road.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Choosing the correct viscosity has alot to do with the time of year and ambient temperature. If I was riding in the late fall and into winter or early spring temps in the 30-50 deg F range, I'd probably go with 10w40. On the other hand in the middle of the summer when temps are 80-100, I'd go with the 20w50. You should also take into account what % of time your riding in specific conditions, If your only riding on an occasional cold morning, but are riding mostly in warmer weather, stick with the 20w50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts