Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my valve clearance for the first time. Really simple procedure. Put it back together and started it up.
Oil started weeping from the rocker covers. So I bought some new o-rings and still have a weep...not as bad now... Any thoughts?

I also verified the covers were installed in the proper location.
How can you tell the difference between the rocker covers?
exhaust rocker = two fins on inside of cover
Intake Cover = smooth inside

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Fisrt thing that comes to mind is o-ring damage after the first re-assembly. But then after replacing the o-rings and still leaking I'd be blaming myself for possibly leaving some small left-overs behind from the old o-ring. It doesn't take much.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Then again, I hope you were carefull bolting the covers back on and didn't add a nice hair-line fracture....nah, it coudn't be that.....I hope...I mean you used a torque wrench right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid of debris under the cover and o-ring so i made sure it was very clean this time! Maybe i need to tighten them more.... I think I need to take them off again and just recheck...

Come on, its a cover and o-ring!!!!...I feel Like a stupid dummy...

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
dumb question - did you alternate between the two bolts while tightening? those covers are not the strongest parts by any means. Ya - recheck and take care when tightening the two bolts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I did an alternating torquing method.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Im in Milford... right around the corner.

As of right now its suppose to be a nice weekend. So Im going to take my time and really inspect the covers. Im also going to wipe down any residual oil residue, then spray some "developer" (that comes with a dye penetrate kit I have for looking for cracks, the stuff works great for seeing where oil weeps come from. Talcum powder works good too, but I don't have any) around the suspect area. Hopefully find something simple.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
weekend weather is looking nice - I hope you got it all fixed and back together (although I think you have to put all back together before you know if it's fixed)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I checked my valve clearance for the first time. Really simple procedure.
You must have more skill than I do. I thought the valve check was ridiculous - remove the carbs!? Made me wish I had bought the Shadow instead. Or better yet, a boxer-engined beemer.

I replaced my rubber seals without incident. Yamaha charges a lot for those little things!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced my rubber seals without incident. Yamaha charges a lot for those little things!
I thought the whole process was fun and simple... Until the oil seepage issue...I feel dumb...

I found the side cylinder head cover (the one that covers the chain and sprocket) was seeping oil also (both Fwd and Aft Cylinders). Bought new orings for those and bought another set of orings for all 4 rocker covers, but haven't had time to install them.

I am installing an oil relocation kit next spring, so I will troubleshoot my oil seepage issue then.

And an FYI for you people out there that think they swapped the Intake and Exhaust rocker covers... you can't, they are not interchangeable (the bolt hole will not line up)... For some reason no one could answer this questions for me, so I had to verify it for myself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I see now that you've got the 1100. Maybe valve access is easier on that bike. On the 650 the valves, especially the front exhaust, are hard to get at. I also had a weird problem getting the front piston TDC. Aligning the timing marks on the magneto cover do not put the piston at TDC. I had to spin the crank another revolution, if I remember right.

and btw, getting my torque wrench into some of these spaces is not possible.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I thought the whole process was fun and simple... Until the oil seepage issue...I feel dumb...

And an FYI for you people out there that think they swapped the Intake and Exhaust rocker covers... you can't, they are not interchangeable (the bolt hole will not line up)... For some reason no one could answer this questions for me, so I had to verify it for myself.
Did I miss a post or two? I didn't see any comments about swapping the covers. Maybe you got a PM or in another related thread.

Regardless - best of luck and I hope you are able to solve it before riding season 2011!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1100 - Just take off the gas tank and you can get to the intake covers easily. Exhaust is even easier. A 6" wobble extension works great...

as for the 650 sounds a little more in depth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did I miss a post or two? I didn't see any comments about swapping the covers. Maybe you got a PM or in another related thread.
I don't think I talked about covers in the forum.
I had called a couple of Yamaha dealers around where I work and they just told me they were different part numbers. I said I know but is it possible to interchange them by mistake. One said yes; the other did not know.

So much for the dealer for help...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Both dealerships were right. You can exchange the exhausts from one to another and the intakes from one to another. You only have one chrome one for the front exhaust the other three are painted silver.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Which cover(s) is/are leaking?
Not trying to be smart but it is hardly leftover oil that leaked during rocker cover removal?

I find when you take off the front exhaust one, a nice trickle of oil runs out no matter what you do, and then takes an hour of riding to burn if off the exhaust head.
Sometimes I worry if it is leaking there, but it's fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found the side cylinder head cover (the one that covers the chain and sprocket) was seeping oil also (both Fwd and Aft Cylinders). Bought new orings for those and bought another set of orings for all 4 rocker covers, but haven't had time to install them.

I am installing an oil relocation kit next spring, so I will troubleshoot my oil seepage issue then.
Replaced all 6 orings; couldn't wait for the spring ;). Let the residual oil burn off and its running like a champ now!!!!:D:D:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts