Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Boys,

back to ask another question.
awhile ago dealer told me to not use the v-twin oil. that was available, and use 10w-40.

would using 5w-40 SYNTHETIC oil in my v-star be good or bad?

my buddy uses it in his Honda VTR, but it's liquid cooled and not a v-twin.
so my thought where if technically the v-twin oil is really think, adn i assume designed for a v-twin, would going to something not as think be good or bad

·
Registered
104 Posts
It all depends on your riding style and budget I guess. I use Amsoil 20w50 in mine and have no issues at all. Using motorcycle engine dyno oil is good also as long as you change it out as per the recommended schedule.
It doesn't need to be a motorcycle specific oil but it needs to be JASO-MA. Rotella was originally made for diesel engines but the JASO-MA specification makes it good for wet clutches. I think a diesel engine is far more stressed than a motorcycle engine.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It really doesn't "need" to be JASO. I have never run a drop of that stuff in any wet clutch bike I have ever owned and have never had an issue. 50,000+ miles on my 1100 (still with original clutch) and a friends is over 150,000. Just make sure the oil you use isn't "Energy Conserving" and you'll be just fine as long as you change it often.

ride safe.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your input. what i was considering was the Rotella 5w-40. never noticed anthing with DINO in the text. but i know NOT to use energy conserving.
what i have been using is the castrol 10w-40 for diesel motors 5L jug. cheaper than the susuki 10w-40 1l litre bottles the dealer wants to sell me. they say they like it better than the other brands.
however ever since i went to this castrol oil, i swear something sounds different??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts