Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few months ago I went to my dealer and got prices for my 950. Now my tires are getting REALLY tired so it is decision time. Dunlop is $380; Shinko is $270; Bridgestone is $440. I believe he said that mounting would then be about $100. I ride (commuting mostly) seasonally - about 7k per year. So what do I do?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I remember right, I went with the Dunlop D404 for mine. They aren't the most expensive tires, but they seem fine to me. Those are under $100 each. Maybe someone else can chime in on higher end tires. Some dealers will price match with online suppliers, like motorcycle-superstore.com.

$100 to mount both tires? Often times if you take the wheels off at home and bring them in yourself, mounting fees will be cheaper. It's about $40 per tire here if I bring in the wheel, and $80 per tire if I bring in the whole bike and let them remove the wheel.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Those prices sound reasonable if you are buying both front and rear tires. I purchased a new Avon rear tire at a local independent shop. The tire cost $213 and mounting was $30. They removed and reinstalled. My motorcycle is a 1300 deluxe.

So if you are talking about both tires, your prices are about right.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would do some online shopping before I gave anyone my money. Also shop around for installation prices if you have your own tire. I just went to motorcyclesuperstore.com for the heck of it and looked up a 170/70-16 (which is what they say is your OE tire size). Most expensive tire listed on the page in that size is $256. Bridgestone Exedra is $149.99.
Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 2 cents.

I bought a Dunlop and changed it myself. I worked in a automotive tire shop for a while in school about 30 years ago. I would not do it again like that. I took a pic of the lines on the belt adjustment so I would know where to put it back. When I pulled the axle, spacers fell out. Notice where they come from. Take the pulley off, lots of rubber spacers. I used a HF tire changer to break the bead. I used lashing straps to pull the beads together. That tire is really stiff. I balanced it by using the axle through the wheel and on a couple of jack stands. I bought stick on weights at napa. It took me about 4 hours from the time I started to the time I was ready to ride again

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my experience the Dunlop D404's don't have very long life and I am not a super aggressive rider as I mostly just commute. I put on some Metzeler 888's and they are amazing compared to the Dunlops. I have had the Metzelers in the wet twice so far and they handle very well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just bought a set of Shinko 777HD from motorcycle-superstore for $193 and they look and ride great. Very smooth ride and they grip the road well in the rain. I can't speak on the wear because I just got them in April but I'm satisfied so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am getting a pair of Michellin Commander II's fitted on Monday onto my 1100 vstar. It will cost me $430 Aus for the pair ($316 US approx at the current exchange rate) fitting is free because I'm buying the from the place that is fitting them.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts