Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I’m in need of some new rubber for two bikes. One Suzuki and one Yamaha both use the same size tire. I never wear the tread out but as I think that once they start to get dried out from sitting for 5 or 6 year it’s probably time to replace them thoughts on that.
i put three sets on last year on bikes that I don’t have any more but the tech that installed them really liked the ones I bought. They are the
Kenda tires anyone use them or have had them. Here is three screen shots of what I’m looking at.
2602A43A-D361-44DD-9254-D331874EEB7E.png
D63FB622-EB39-43C0-BE5E-8845EEA7EED8.png
5223E664-1DAE-4076-8491-21C647EFB42F.png

·
2,729 Posts
I had 2 sets of Kendas on my 1100 and for the money they are an excellent tire. They do have an odd "growl" when cornering because of the tread pattern but I got used to it. I got about 7000 miles on them. Not as much as you might get with Michelin or other higher end tire but that's about what I did in a season so I was happy with them. I see they are considerably cheaper where you are. Those prices would be for 1 tire here, not a set. I couldn't justify spending a $1000 for a set Commander II tires, even though the mileage is claimed to be double. They are less expensive in the US so they might be worth it for you.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 2 sets of Kendas on my 1100 and for the money they are an excellent tire. They do have an odd "growl" when cornering because of the tread pattern but I got used to it. I got about 7000 miles on them. Not as much as you might get with Michelin or other higher end tire but that's about what I did in a season so I was happy with them. I see they are considerably cheaper where you are. Those prices would be for 1 tire here, not a set. I couldn't justify spending a $1000 for a set Commander II tires, even though the mileage is claimed to be double. They are less expensive in the US so they might be worth it for you.
If I went to the bike shop and bought them they are almost double the price I ordered them from a tire shop in Michigan from eBay next day free delivery to my area they are probably what I will be buying again but I’m thinking about white walls for a little different look on one of the bikes. The guy that puts them on for me charges me $20.00 per tire witch I think is very reasonable price. That includes the balance too.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
the thing you got to watch buying tires online, check the date code on the sidewall

tires dry out just sitting - most shops wont sell a tire that is more than a year old

they sell them to someone else, and they sell them cheap cheap cheap

after 5 years they are dried out

BTW $20 to put a tire on a MC wheel is a good deal - esp with PITA tubes

I got my last few sets from Bikebandit.com
use them as a sanity check - fast delivery, fresh tires

Kendall tires are ok if you dont ride much and will not wear them out

usually my front tires last twice as long as the rear - I have been running OEM Bridgestone tires on my two bikes for the last few changes

something else to be aware of - some tires are lighter than others - bikebandit lists the weight of the tires

because of the gyroscopic effect of the spinning tire, a heavier tire will make the bike more stable, and it will feel more precise when countersteering at speed

a lighter tire will make the bike feel squirrly and twitchy - to the point where it will be difficult to ride hands-free

I have put both OEM Dunlop and Bridgestone tires on my 650 - the Bridgestone tires feel noticeably more stable

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yep, tires can dry rot especially if they have just been sitting.
Age itself does not necessarily mean the tire is bad. If it is dry rotted you can see it on the the side walls when the tire is properly inflated.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
the thing with the old tires drying out, its not just the cracking (which doesnt matter, its the cords that hold the tire together, not the rubber)

what happens is the rubber looses its plyability - you just touch the brakes and the back tire locks up and leaves a skid mark like it was made of black chalk

and if you push it on a curve an old dry tire will skid sideways just as easy, will slide out from under the bike well before a nice new one will

old tires lose their grip
like old riders :^)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The date stamps on the Kenda tires have always been very close to the date of purchase for me anyways but I can’t say that all the tire dealers are reputable. That’s why I continue to buy from the same place plus he’s not far from me witch means next day delivery. That’s a plus in my book.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do kinda like the white walls but would have to be the Suzuki as it’s color is black not sure they would look right on the Yamaha as it’s a cream and Silver two tone paint.

·
2,729 Posts
My 1100 was burgundy and cream and it had whitewalls when I got it. They looked really good with the paint, but when I replaced them I went with Kenda and they didn't offer a whitewall option. Other brands were outside the tire budget. Shinko did offer a whitewall but at the time the reviews on them weren't great so I didn't want to chance it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have the shinko whitewalls on mine.
Seem to do pretty well. Been on some ice with them and hit some gravel on the street with them.
Seem to be pretty stable.
When I replace them, I will probably just go with the shinkos again.
Whitewalls or blackwalls do not bother me. I will use both.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Like kcw said, bike bandit is dang good. I order from them too.
Good products, fast shipping.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They look great on your bike I’m thinking that I will be buying a set for the black Suzuki but will be getting the black wall for the Yamaha. How much work Is it to keep them looking that nice like yours.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They look great on your bike I’m thinking that I will be buying a set for the black Suzuki but will be getting the black wall for the Yamaha. How much work Is it to keep them looking that nice like yours.
The trick is take the picture as soon as you get them on, before you drive anywhere. lol
The whitewalls do clean up well with Duragloss 701

1 - 20 of 27 Posts