Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 650 came with a fairly new rear Dunlop D404, the PO replaced it a couple of weeks before selling the bike. The front tire was worn out so decided to replace it with the matching pattern. Since then I already put little over 1,500 miles on the tires, I am not noticing a significant amount of wear. Cornering, handling and braking is good. Last weekend I went for a ride up the mountains 80 miles each way of twisty roads, leaning the bike on those twisty roads made me feel I was pushing the bike and tires to its limits, couple of times I managed to scrape my floorboards, not a big deal.

My only complaint with these tires is that they get caught in the tracks along the rain grooves on SoCal Freeways. Once I reach 65 MPH I get this unstable feeling at higher speeds, almost like riding on sand or something. On highways with asphalt at 70 MPH I have never experienced this feeling, the minute i jump on a rain grooved freeway the woozy feeling comes back.

Thinking of going with another brand when time comes to replace the tires. I read posts that Michelin are not any better when it comes to grooved freeways / roads. For what I have read Kenda and Shinko tires seem to be more stable on grooved roads. Anyone has experience with these?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
Currently on 4th set of Michelin Commander II. Love them. No rain groove following. Great wear, traction, dry or wet. That's why I've stuck with them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
My 650 came with a fairly new rear Dunlop D404, the PO replaced it a couple of weeks before selling the bike. The front tire was worn out so decided to replace it with the matching pattern. Since then I already put little over 1,500 miles on the tires, I am not noticing a significant amount of wear. Cornering, handling and braking is good. Last weekend I went for a ride up the mountains 80 miles each way of twisty roads, leaning the bike on those twisty roads made me feel I was pushing the bike and tires to its limits, couple of times I managed to scrape my floorboards, not a big deal.

My only complaint with these tires is that they get caught in the tracks along the rain grooves on SoCal Freeways. Once I reach 65 MPH I get this unstable feeling at higher speeds, almost like riding on sand or something. On highways with asphalt at 70 MPH I have never experienced this feeling, the minute i jump on a rain grooved freeway the woozy feeling comes back.

Thinking of going with another brand when time comes to replace the tires. I read posts that Michelin are not any better when it comes to grooved freeways / roads. For what I have read Kenda and Shinko tires seem to be more stable on grooved roads. Anyone has experience with these?
I’ve had issues with the Dunlop’s I do think they ride a little different then most. Had Bridgestone on one of the 650 classic they were nice and handled well. Had three sets of the Kedra tires now with great results to.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve had issues with the Dunlop’s I do think they ride a little different then most. Had Bridgestone on one of the 650 classic they were nice and handled well. Had three sets of the Kedra tires now with great results to.
Got it. That's kind of what I was looking for. I'll keep that in mind, too early to tell how many miles I'm to get out the Dunlop tires on the bike.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Dunlop 404s... about 8k miles on the back tire if you ride like an old man (me)

getting 12k on rear tire on the OEM Bridgestones, almost twice that on the front tire

that pushed me out from replacing the rear every two years to every three, and 6 years on the front

21 - 27 of 27 Posts