Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,212 Posts
@calabria1922, another idea is going to a side car rig. The Ural bikes are either two-wheel drive with the sidecar getting power too, or regular with single pusher. They come with reverse and have highway speed with the newer FI bikes.

I won't give the full history of this Russian made machine, but the important points are they were designed by the Germans before WWII so that a soldier can repair everything in the field. They do have one of the most robust tool kits of any motorcycle these days.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sidecar

This is the only company that makes their machines on purpose for a sidecar. There are other brands that run sidecars though, just a though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you everyone. You all gave me some good things to think about. I really appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to reply.
Thanks!!!
I'd suggest Yamaha. I owned three Suzuki's
Best bike i ever owned is the Yamaha 650C. planning on a 950 soon if my health keeps improving but i am happy with what i have. 650 should fit you just right. There are mods on a site thats is all about the 650's. I can send you a link,
While i''m 5'10" now, older and weaker this 650 is perfect and going up to the big brother(950) shouldn't be a problem, he 950 is lower than the 650, seriously. A Jslam modifiction will lower the already low profile 650 if this is a tad to much. I doubt you need it, i can easily reach the ground at 5'10.. I get 52mph in city. 60+ on the hwy with a few simple mods, few bikes in this class get that.. I kept up with every 750 i i've rode with, Neck to neck. Might as well say this is a 750. Easy and better maintenance then my friends Honda's and better mileage to. 500 is not bad.. But eventually you will want to move up from most bikes. 650 is perfect bike to stay with or grow with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I returned to riding after a dozen or so years, I bought a Honda Shadow 600 and it was perfect for getting used to riding again. Low seat, decent power for the engine size and very light and easy to paddle around at low speeds, plus its a V twin. The only drawback was it only had 4 gears and I was ready for something bigger by the end of one summer....

·
Registered
2007 V Star 650 Silverado
69 Posts
I rode the 250 V Star (well, Virago technically) for a couple of years. I did do the sprocket swap to get lowered RPM at speed and I'd say it'll happily carry your weight at 55-60 mph and the vibration's not bad at that point. The only thing I'd mention is for me (5'11", 180ish) the seat on that bike got REALLY uncomfortable after about an hour of riding and there aren't too many replacement options out there. It's possible with your build it may be not so bad, I'm not sure, but just a warning if you are planning on any long rides!

EDIT: just wanted to add, if you haven't tried it go to www.cycle-ergo.com and take a look--it's not perfect but it's a convenient way of getting a rough idea of size etc.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Deadsirius - it's funny you mentioned the ergonomics site! I love it!! I discovered that back in 2014 or 2015 when I was researching hing bikes then. Pretty much matched what felt when I test drove the V-Star 650, S40, and the CTX-700 before I bought the latter. Never found a seat yet that I am comfortable after an hour. The Airhawk I bought for the CTX700 and my wife's S40 helped a little...

Ratz056 - I think I smiled the most on the V-Star 650.

I am going to try and find a V-Star 250 to test drive and sit on a 650 and S40 again...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I came very late to the game - had my first motorcycle ride at age 70 - then got my license - I bought a Yamaha 250 and rode it for about 6 months under the impression that bigger was bad for newbies - I found the 250 very cramped - 5'-10" with a 30" inseam - bought a 650 classic and never looked back - only comfort item was forward controls I added after a year - allowed my legs to stretch forward. I've done over 60000 miles in the last 5 seasons - cheap to operate - minimum repairs with lots of smiles.

Every spring I go through the get a bigger bike thing but always come back to the 650 - if I were doing lots of highway I'd probably get a 950 Tourer or a low mileage 1100 classic - just the big brothers of the 650 - enjoy the search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 62, 5'7 and wished I weighed 140 . If you like the CTX why not consider the NC700 or NC750X ? Has the same comfortable power and a more upright seating position that I find perfect. The weight is down low and is carried well. The two knocks against the bike are the lack of power and suspension. But being #140 those issues would be minimal. I have 4 other bikes, but find the NC the most agreeable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,

I am contemplating getting another bike and would appreciate everyone's inputs and perspective. I have been searching the forum and haven't found any posts that quite address my circumstances. Most posts address rider size and experience but not necessarily age which I think can also impact the choice.

Here are my particular particulars:
  • Turning 63 next month
  • Wear and tear of age, sports injuries, etc.
  • 5'-6", 140 (used to be 5'-7 😄)31" inseam
  • Been riding off and on for 50 years
  • Dirt bikes, enduros, 1972 Kawasaki S2 triple, 1980 GS450 Cafe, 1983 GS750ES, 1982 TZ-125, 2014 Honda CTX700
  • Some road race experience with the S2 and the TZ-125
  • Not interested in dragging my knee around a corner or hunched over a gas tank - too much neck and back disc damage
I'm looking for something light, comfy, relaxed seating position, and nimble for around town, country roads @ 55-60 max. Lack of power may keep me out of trouble! 😄

My CTX700 was about 500 LB. and a great bike but the pegs were so far forward it put a lot of weight on my tailbone that an Airhawk couldn't fix. The weight though was starting to be a problem when maneuvering.

My wife liked her S40 till she got her CTX700 too. I like that bike a lot. Only irritants were the vibration and lack of a trip odometer. I would prefer the look and sound of a twin though. Fuel gage would be nice but trip ODO works.

I am having a hard time not liking the V-Star 250. The 650 classic fit and rode well but has the same weight as the CTX, so not much help.

Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!
At 69, I am the youngest and smallest (5'7 160 lb.) of the 3 owners of my '08 1100 classic. The short seat-height and OEM standard floor boards work well for me. Plenty of power to spare, and around town I typically shift 1,3, 5th with no issues. The 3 disc brake system and wide standard bars give it the feel of a smaller bike. I have wished for a reverse gear couple times, but lesson learned I choose wisely now when parking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Compared to the CTX I owned, the V-Star 650 is slightly heavier and 1" lower seat height. Guessing about the same issues with moving it around by foot.

For you V-Star 650 owners, what are the maintenance items that are most difficult or costly? Any major reliability issues? Do the carbs go out if sync easy, or difficult to sync up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,

I am contemplating getting another bike and would appreciate everyone's inputs and perspective. I have been searching the forum and haven't found any posts that quite address my circumstances. Most posts address rider size and experience but not necessarily age which I think can also impact the choice.

Here are my particular particulars:
  • Turning 63 next month
  • Wear and tear of age, sports injuries, etc.
  • 5'-6", 140 (used to be 5'-7 😄)31" inseam
  • Been riding off and on for 50 years
  • Dirt bikes, enduros, 1972 Kawasaki S2 triple, 1980 GS450 Cafe, 1983 GS750ES, 1982 TZ-125, 2014 Honda CTX700
  • Some road race experience with the S2 and the TZ-125
  • Not interested in dragging my knee around a corner or hunched over a gas tank - too much neck and back disc damage
I'm looking for something light, comfy, relaxed seating position, and nimble for around town, country roads @ 55-60 max. Lack of power may keep me out of trouble! 😄

My CTX700 was about 500 LB. and a great bike but the pegs were so far forward it put a lot of weight on my tailbone that an Airhawk couldn't fix. The weight though was starting to be a problem when maneuvering.

My wife liked her S40 till she got her CTX700 too. I like that bike a lot. Only irritants were the vibration and lack of a trip odometer. I would prefer the look and sound of a twin though. Fuel gage would be nice but trip ODO works.

I am having a hard time not liking the V-Star 250. The 650 classic fit and rode well but has the same weight as the CTX, so not much help.

Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!
I ride a v-star 950 Tourer, I’m 78 years old 5’5” with a 24-25” inseam. Had the seat redone with memory foam, best $200 I ever spent, I now ride for hours in comfort. I am able to put both feet flat on the ground. Watch where you park, front wheel always uphill, stay off the front brake under 20mph and remember, if you do drop it there’s always a bunch of people that will help an old man get it back on two wheels.

·
Registered
'14 1300 Deluxe & '02 650 Classic
167 Posts
Had the seat redone with memory foam, best $200 I ever spent, I now ride for hours in comfort.
Is there some sort of fitting process? My stock seats aren't bad but I'd love to be able to slide back a few inches. I'm always on the cusp of the back seam. Memory foam sounds like heaven.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SNIP - For you V-Star 650 owners, what are the maintenance items that are most difficult or costly? Any major reliability issues? Do the carbs go out if sync easy, or difficult to sync up?
Only thing I had to do was replace the stator at the 25000 mile mark - Oil, filters, tires and batteries are the only other items - mine has been bullet proof so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That's good to know! Stator In the starter or alternator? Did you do the work yourself? How hard was it and what did it cost? Just curious ...

Do you do anything special in the winter when not ridden? Fuel stabilizer?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's good to know! Stator In the starter or alternator? Did you do the work yourself? How hard was it and what did it cost? Just curious ...

Do you do anything special in the winter when not ridden? Fuel stabilizer?

Thanks!!!
Alternator - stator cost was about $250.00 and another $200.00 for replacement labor

I use Stabil for fuel stabilizer but usually ride a couple of times in Jan and Feb so the fuel breakdown isn't a problem.

Then during the year I run a couple of ounces of Seafoam just as a precaution.

I use iridium spark plugs and had 50000 miles on the first set and good burn indicators - only changed them because I had a new set on hand - these type run 100000 miles in our cars.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I see that @Moosehead mentioned the Honda Shadow 600, my friend has one, the VLX. I've ridden it and found it to feel very light, almost like being on a bicycle. He is 6' 3" and over 300 lbs. I think the seat height is only 24". Me, I'll be 63 in a couple of weeks but I'm taller than you with a 34" inseam. As was mentioned, chain drive and 4 gears. I'm thinking it runs about 460 lbs.

A Scooter was mentioned. That's what I started riding on around age 50. The last one I had was the Suzuki Burgman 650. It would blow to doors off of the Vstar 650 that I have now (of course the Vstar would first need to have doors installed). The Burgman 650 was about 600 lbs, I had the 400 Burgman prior to that which was lighter, it to was a single, I don't recall any serious vibrations on it.

I've only sat on the S40, never got a chance to ride one. I did find the seating position somewhat comfortable, but couldn't tell for sure without riding it. But I'm taller than you. It does have a good reputation.

A bike I haven't seen mentioned could be just what you are looking for; Kawasaki 750. I had one but replaced it with the Vstar 650. I was explaining to my buddy one day that it was a motorcycle. The motor part was great, the cycle part just didn't fit me. With my inseam I couldn't get comfortable on it. The other thing I didn't really care for was the shape of the handlebars, but I could live with it. It felt very light to me, I'm not sure if I remember this correctly but I'm thinking the weight was around 480 lbs. It was shaft drive, dual disc front brakes and single disk rear. Water cooled motor which was very peppy, I think the output was double that of the 650 Vstar. If I could have gotten comfortable on it, I'd still have it. You being shorter than I, it just might fit you to a Tee.

Kawasaki has the Vulcan 600. It uses the Nija's parallel twin, chain drive, disc brakes, and under 500 lbs (460 lbs ?). They have what they call the Ergo Fit system. Different peg positions, different bars, and seats. If you buy it new, the dealer sets it up for you for no addtionall cost; if you buy it used the features are still there but you'd need to buy the parts to reconfigure it.

No one has mentioned the Indian Scout or Scout 60, you may want to look into those. The Scout has 6 gears and 100 HP; the Scout 60 has five gears they removed the Scout's 5th gear so it has the same top gearing as the Scout.

I read an article a while back and don't remember if it was for model year 21 or 22, but Harley has redone the Sportster. Its lighter and now has a motor similar to the Streets, 60 degree V and water cooled. I think its 1200 or 1250.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks Cantrider! Some more good options you brought up. As I mentioned, I have ridden a few hundred miles on an S40 so I am pretty familiar with that bike. It's one of my top options, so your suggestion is right on.

I sat on a V-Star 650 again the other day and test drove one back in 2014 when I bought my CTX700. It fit well and almost bought it instead of the CTX. Was just not as smooth, powerful and really liked the tach, fuel gage, FI, water cooled, less vibration, fairing, and highway cruising ability which was important to me back then as I was entertaining going on long rides with it. That never happened though and my current plans for a bike don't include any interstate. Just short rides around a small farming town and lonely country roads. That's why I was thinking about the V-Star 250 as well.

My main issue on the weight of the CTX (500 lb.) was maneuvering the bike, especially on uneven ground or over the lip of a garage floor. The combination of being short and weighing only 140 lb. fully dressed made that really difficult. The seat height on the CTX was about 29", plus I had an airhawk inflatable pad on it so probably just over 30" total. I had no problem with my feet touching flat on the ground with some room to spare. But when I lean my massive 140 lb. (😄) forward to push it up a slight hill or lip in the pavement, it was really difficult, having to get up on my toes to lean even more forward,, and I ain't getting older (63 next month). Having bird legs and skinny calves might be part of it. It would be slightly better with the V-Star 650, even easier with the S40, and a lot easier with the 250.

A lot of comments about going with as big a bike as I can afford, but that doesn't match how I am going to use the bike.

Thanks!!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts