Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my first ride on an 80-degree day in my "old school" leather jacket was not cool... Literally. I'm soaked. Did fine riding through the mountains at 40-50, but the ride back through stop-and-go got awfully warm...

Pondering a mesh jacket for warm-weather riding. Can anyone comment on whether they're really notably cooler/more ventilated? Seem to be plenty of good armored options for $60-100, but hoping for some 'real world' feedback so I don't throw down the money and find they're just as warm.

KC

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have my Icon mesh jacket I wear and love it! does what it needs to. It can keep the wind from making you to chilly but helps is very breathable

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm now wearing my second Tourmaster Air Intake (3) jacket. The only reason I'm not still wearing my original Air Intake2 is that I've gained a few pounds and needed an XL. It allows plenty of air through the mesh and here where it can easily top 110 degrees in the shade, I find it comfortable. It comes with armor in all the right places and has two liners; one for rain and the other for chilly weather.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What size do you wear? I have an X element mesh jacket w/armor that came with my bike that I'm looking to get rid of.. I have to check the size, but I'm pretty sure it's in the range of L-XL..

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size do you wear? I have an X element mesh jacket w/armor that came with my bike that I'm looking to get rid of.. I have to check the size, but I'm pretty sure it's in the range of L-XL..
Thanks! Regrettably, I'm XXL nowadays... Well XL for "real" stuff, which typically means XXL for bike gear.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks! Regrettably, I'm XXL nowadays... Well XL for "real" stuff, which typically means XXL for bike gear.
Hey, no worries. :) It was a L.. I tried to fat man in a little coat it Friday night when I brought my bike home from my parents because I forgot my jacket.. There was no way in hell.. haha.. I was only putting myself in danger trying to get it on. Let me know what you find/decide on. I'm going to be in the market for one before the end of summer.

eGo

·
Registered
417 Posts
I tried to use a leather jacket during hot weather and quickly switched to a mesh jacket. Make sure you get one with waterproof lining and a zip out liner as well. A mesh jacket with a liner and a sweatshirt can do on cool mountain mornings in the late spring, summer and early fall. Being able to peel layers as the temperature goes up really helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been looking for a riding jacket but I can never find one that fits me. I wear a XXXL and all the ones I tried on that is my size and bigger are too short in the torso area. It looks like I'm wearing a belly shirt. I gave up looking and I just wear a hoodie now. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've been looking for a riding jacket but I can never find one that fits me. I wear a XXXL and all the ones I tried on that is my size and bigger are too short in the torso area. It looks like I'm wearing a belly shirt. I gave up looking and I just wear a hoodie now. Good luck on your search.
I know your struggle.. lol 4XLT here.. Most stuff doesn't fit right if it's not a Tall. So, like you, I'll probably just wear my Big Dog Hoodie lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
It sucks because I would like to find something cooler to wear in the warm weather. Plus I'm planning on going to Deals Gap this July and having armor in the jacket might be a good idea.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Feel your pain, tre607. I generally wear XXL - XXXL in bike gear, and it's tough to find. Haven't encountered the 'short torso' issue myself (I'm 6') but definitely appreciate the all-too-few vendors that offer XXXL sizing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My X-element mesh vs. my leathers and my rocket textile?
Like night and day.
Because it's so cool and light-weight, most days when it's below the upper 80's, I forget I've even got it on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've worn armored mesh jackets for years. I am cooler in them than I am without. I found out last summer that they provide good protection when you wreck. I had a minor stroke and don't remember the accident but the jacket only had minor damage while the helmet and gloves were destroyed. I won't leave my driveway without armor, a modular helmet and good gloves. I shudder when I think about the years I rode without them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a Street and Steal (I think)...mesh jacket with a removable liner. It is a well made jacket, has elbow, shoulder and spine pads and lets a lot of air through but its black...and in the sun the radiant heat gets uncomfortable reaching 80+ especially with the humidity we have here in the south. 80-85 as long as I keep moving I can take it but the spine pad doesnt get any air between it and my back so I end up with a wet stripe down my back.

Over 85 and it has to go.

My buddy decided to buy a white jacket for visibility and due to my complaint of heat and he said his is just as hot in the 80's as I describe mine.

I am not sure if there is a better product out there for summer riding but if there is, I want it. I am not fond of riding naked but I end up going bareback in the heat of summer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently picked up a mesh jacket because the leather is a bit much when it's 80+ and humid. It has been fantastic, as long as I'm moving it flows tons of air.

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/FirstGear-Jackets-Men/FirstGear-Jackets-Mens-FirstGear-Mesh-Tex-2-Mesh-Jacket

I got it in silver and it's really a good looking jacket. It does come a little short in the torso when standing but fits well when on the bike, and was generously spaced in the belly area which I unfortunately need. I think the tall sizes would've worked better for length but only go up to 3xlt. I needed the 4x based on the chest and waist measurements.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

For now I just got a pretty basic middle-of-the road BILT mesh jacket. Went to the store rather than ordered online. The one I got (the "racer" model) fits nicely in XXXL. Fairly simple style, black. A couple other versions I tried on (the cheapest ones) did NOT fit well in XXXL (shoulders) and 4XL fit the shoulders but was baggy everywhere else. So it was really style-by-style. Interesting that even within one brand, sizing varied so much.

Have been much cooler since (temperature-wise; my teenage daughter assures me I can never be "cool"...)

It'll do for a season or two, I'll see what I like or don't, maybe upgrade eventually.

KC

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think its a sacrifice we have to make. While some jackets may be cooler than others, is there really a way to cover your shoulders, back, and elbows and still be cool when temps hit 80+. I don't think so. Not with conventional riding gear anyway. I have a Fulmer mesh jacket and with the liner out isn't bad up to about 75 degrees. But honestly any warmer than that and I'm in my t-shirt. If you choose to wear armor year round being hot is just the price you have to pay I believe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts