Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I have been a 950 owner since December of '08 and am just getting around to the forums. This was spawned by a 3 hour mod last night to install aux lighting on the bike. I also noticed that there isn't a huge group that mods the 950. My bike was recently serviced and the techs were surprised how nice it was and loved the mods.

Anyway, I will get some shots up once I dig up some old photos. I plan to go back over the mods I have done so people can learn from my mistakes and headaches.

Off the top of my head, here is what I have:
- Mustang seat, first public customer to get the seats after development
- Mustang bib on rear fender, all rear pegs are removed
- Cobra Slashdown exhaust
- Cobra Fi2000
- HID, OPT7 headlight, original housing, not projector, blah blah blah. I know, I'll get around to throwing a projector in it
- Arlen Ness Mirrors
- Multiple Yamaha chrome guards/covers
- Low and Mean fender elimination kit
- Denali DM Micro 2.0 driving lights and mounts-last nights project

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,457 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Like the mods. It's always fun making your ride the way you want it. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
did the mpg change much after the pipes and fuel tuner and do you have any deceleration popping in the low rpms
I don't have the decel popping. Haven't ever had it, even when driving aggressively. I average 46 mpg. I don't have my records from before the install but I don't remember it going down much.

I could give you my pot settings. I haven't checked them in years. Now that I'm back near a metropolitan area I should probably have it dyno'd and tuned.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You mean I'm in the minority? I thought lots of people modded the 950's. They're a great bike but even better when you add some basic mods. Also it's relatively inexpensive to do.

My mods:
Yamaha Engine guard
Tacometer
Kuryakyn grips with throttle boss
Vance & Hines slip on muffler
Cobra FI2000
32 tooth front pulley
Kuryakyn Duallly highway pegs
Gel seat insert
Kuryakyn Run Turn Brake controller
Memphis Shades lowers
Grasshopper driver backrest
Electrical outlet port for GPS
SpeedoDRD
Louder horn (but not an air horn)

·
2,502 Posts
Welcome from the Maritimes. Great looking ride you have there - love the mods.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Welcome to the forum Littlemac! Great looking bike, nice mods too. Did many similar ones to my 950 as well and still get 46 mpg on the road. Glad you joined us and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does the 32 tooth pulley do for the bike? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. Self mod or something a shop needs to do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the HID in the stock headlight housing. Will be upgrading the entire housing eventually to a projector with either the existing HID bulb/setup or go straight LED. The driving/fogs I just installed are LED. Getting ready to do a short write up on those right now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What does the 32 tooth pulley do for the bike? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. Self mod or something a shop needs to do?
It drops your rpms by about 500 making the bike run with less effort. When I would normally be in 4th gear now I'm in 3rd. Gives you a better top end and runs much smoother on the highway.

You could do it yourself or have a shop do it for you. One of the more common and easiest mods is to replace the front pulley with a Stryker pulley.

I chose to have a shop make mine by machining the original pulley down and welding a Harley pulley with the center cut out to the Yamaha pulley. A little more expensive but the advantage is I got an extra tooth out of it, the Stryker pulley has 31 teeth, I have 32.

If you want I can send you the info on the guy that did mine (3 years ago and no problems). You send him your pulley and he will mod it and send it back. It will cost you probably around $450 CDN to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Welcome from Sunny N. Florida, when I had my 950 I did what I consider quite a few mods to mine. Mustang seat, lighting, Exhaust, fuel processor, air horn.. hell can't remember what else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts