Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 model V-Star 650 that I received from a family member this past november for free (can't beat a free bike!). It sat outside for some years and needed some TLC to bring it back to life. I've since put nearly 5k on it and as of today it is deadlined.

Here's the symptoms: When starting, the past week or two, the engine seems to lock up after the starter turns it a few short rotations. At first it turns freely, but then it gets locked up about one second into starting. I have the bike in neutral, choke out etc. Every now and then, I am able to rock it in 1st and unlock the engine, then she finally fires up. Other times, such as today, she decided to stay parked and wouldn't turn over (might be ignition problem but that's not too hard to diagnose. On two notable occasions, the bike has made a very loud clunk when starting and it seems to come from the bottom right, near the clutch area.

Anyone else experience this issue? Would love some insight/wisdom on this issue. I can and will give more details!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
the starter on the 650 has a clutch. They are pretty reliable but in this case hopefully its something with the starter jamming the engine

if its anything else....that would not be good. Usually when an engine seizes up you have to tear it down and rebuild it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts