Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 3 weeks ago on Sunday the weather got nice and me and my wife went out for a ride. We both have our own bikes. Got a bite to eat then went to a park by the river. After that we got some gas and headed home which was only 3 blocks away. Guy from a small side street started to edge out while we were heading down the road. He came out further then stopped right in the path of my wife who was about 50 feet in front of me. She tried to stop but hit the front of this pick up truck. Totally bent in the forks to the frame and she was tossed off the bike and slide down the street about 30 feet. She had a 3/4 helmet, heavy leather jacket, heavy leather gloves and good boots on. Her wrist ended up being broken. 2 days later his insurance company called us and said he dosent have any coverage with them. I only took pics of all the info I was given and when I looked back at it his insurance paper it was out of date. The cop was at the scene and only took our info because she was taken to the hospital. They needed to operate on her wrist and put a plate in her wrist. She is feeling better and starting therapy next week. We did have collision but not uninsured and under insured. We never really looked into what this meant to us but I really wished we did. We are adding it back on now. In the end I think we got lucky that she wasn't injured worse. She cant wait to go shopping for a new bike. Progressive is sending all of her medical bills directly to the other driver.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
That is a terrible situation all the way around. The fact that it could have been much worse is the only positive thing.

Im going to dig out my Progressive MC policy and make sure I did sign up for uninsured motorist coverage. Here in NY I think its required. When I got my 650 several years ago I was only going to get basic liability, but the rates at progressive for full C&C were so good, I signed up for everything, including coverage for my riding gear.

Sorry that she could not avoid the collision. If I see someone on a cross path so much as flinch, Im off the gas and on the brakes, and planning the path to go around if he keeps coming. If he stops I sound the horn of indignation loud and long. If I have to avoid him I dont bother with the horn.

But even being that diligent, sometimes I miss one and they start coming out when Im not looking.

BTW, breaking the bones in the wrist is an instinctive reaction. When you fall your arms go out by themselves to catch the ground - you have to stop them, tuck them in, and twist and roll on your side, like a football receiver going to the ground with the ball. My wife slipped and fell and broke her left wrist (pins and plates) and 2 years later she tripped in the driveway and broke the other wrist the same way. Its a very common injury, esp for us older people.

Practicing falling should be one of those things that everyone learns in gym class, something useful.. instead of climbing ropes and playing dodge ball....

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
BTW, one of the worst things that uninsured drivers do: they cause an accident, know they will be in trouble for having no insurance (or license, or registration, or inspection) so they take off and leave injured people to fend for themselves.

Here in NY state, if your insurance lapses the State Police come to your house within days. If you are home they will give you the opportunity to remove the plates from your car. If the car is there unattended they rip the plates off your car with a pair of 12" vise grips.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Wow, that's a real bummer. Glad wife is ok, that's the main thing. Have fun picking out the new bike.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Thank God it wasn’t worse! I’ve got progressive as well, and I have full coverage with all the other stuff including “replacement value” up to one year newer and includes all my added accessories AND “Gap” coverage as well.
I wasn’t taking ANY chances.
Hope she heals fast and is back on the road soon.
As far as someone’s comment on “falling” they’re absolutely correct. I spent a number of years in Judo and the FIRST THING you learn is how to fall. That makes sense since you’re gonna be thrown and throwing others all over the place! It’s defilnitely a “learned” thing. You have to re-train your natural instinct to stiff arm brace for a fall.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Absolutely get uninsured and under insured coverage. A while back my ex girlfriend was driving home and when she was going around the last curve (which was covered in packed snow) before our house an F-250 on bald tires came flying down the middle of the road and smashed her Passat so hard it ended up about 8 feet into the woods which was full of snow about 3 and a half feet deep. Same thing, no insurance even though it's compulsory in Colorado.
Liability insurance always makes me nervous, too many risks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
BTW, one of the worst things that uninsured drivers do: they cause an accident, know they will be in trouble for having no insurance (or license, or registration, or inspection) so they take off and leave injured people to fend for themselves.

Here in NY state, if your insurance lapses the State Police come to your house within days. If you are home they will give you the opportunity to remove the plates from your car. If the car is there unattended they rip the plates off your car with a pair of 12" vise grips.
Wow. That's interesting. I've never heard of that before. Pretty damn good idea. Uninsured motorist is a big problem.

·
Registered
541 Posts
In the end I think we got lucky that she wasn't injured worse. She cant wait to go shopping for a new bike. Progressive is sending all of her medical bills directly to the other driver.

Glad to hear that only the wrist was broken AND that she's looking forward to another bike and riding again.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Interesting... Ive heard of several people who have been in accidents, were somewhat or seriously injured, and could not wait to get back on a motorcycle again

and Ive heard of several people who were in close calls, nearly had a bad accident, rode home sold the bike and have never rode since.

Maybe its the fear of what might happen to you in an accident being worse than what happens if you actually are in an accident.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Wishing your wife a quick and successful recovery.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I checked my insurance (progressive)

I have $25k per person (me) for injury caused by uninsured drivers. That line item is $5 per year to cover me on both bikes. I think it may be less here in NYS because of both the no fault coverage here, and the fact that they are SO aggressive to keep uninsured cars off the road.

My bike and gear is covered by C&C - my total premium for two bikes for the year is $250.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my wife is doing better. Surgery went well. They needed to put a plate and some pins. Physical therapy started last week. Progressive gave us a good amount for the bike and accessories. She really didn't have much damage to her gear to make a claim but that would have been covered too. Change our insurance to include Un and underinsured. We will go from paying $280 to $520 for 2 bikes. Live and learn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts