Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, I'm coming off the Seattle ferry on Bainbridge Island after a visit to the VA Hospital. About 2 miles and my left floorboard bracket breaks at the mounting bolts. Luckily I stopped as the unit hit the Pavement and I left it in 3rd gear. Bungeed everything up and rode the last 6 miles home in 3rd gear with my leg sticking out. Talk about a nagging groin injury! I sure hope Seattle gets all it's road projects finished before the chuck holes kill me. Now, to fix the bracket.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been dealing with some family issues so I was not able to get right to the problem. Discovered the 4" extensions were made of cheap aluminum and broke due to piss-poor engineering and quality control. I am making new ones out of steel. Easy fix, no damage done and another lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hey BnD long time no see. You might try tying them together the new extensions. I have 6" stainless ones and they always flexed in towards each other when I would reposition myself. I bought a piece of 3/8 stainless rod on Amazon.com, cut and threaded the ends and bolted them together. To both hold them apart and mount them together using chrome hardware.

Capnut-Washer-Peg/Ext-Washer-Nut

On one side Rod across and the opposite on the other side

Nut-Washer-Ext/Peg-Washer-Capnut

Id get you a pic but its stormin out and I'm bikeless at work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fulltilt, good to hear from you again. I took your advise and welded 2 pieces together for each bracket. Probably over-kill but, way better than what I had. Thanks for the help. Seems like the rain in Texas is either feast or famone.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Could have been a disaster. I think about this every time I unweight a little to reposition myself in the saddle, but didn't think it would ever actually happen. I'll be more careful in the future as a result of your sharing.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I had water up to my front porch last night all gone today and I was able to mow...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts