Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know I know...gonna open a large can of them wiggly things...;but.............

Anyone open carry while riding...or you have and have had an experience you wish to share....

I am trying to decide....need input please.

Toymaker

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am a strong proponent of the 2nd amendment. However, I am not fan of open carry. Whether on a bike or not.
My personal feeling, (& this is not backed by any facts or articles), open carry on a bike can make others more fearful & make more mistakes.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
Most importantly is to know your local laws on open carry, each state varies and I say this for liability issues.
If you’re going to open carry, know when and how to use it defensively. Just a suggestion. The laws on open carry can change yearly, Tn has just adopted the ‘Castle Law’ that only Tx and Ms had prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
The laws on open carry get quite fuzzy sometimes. Some of the cities around here will allow open carry, while others prohibit it so you could get a fine (inciting fear, public nuisance, etc...all while it being completely legal to have the firearm on your person) or have a lot of frowning people. And that is just walking down the street, let alone with the silly silly drivers out there trying to tweet, fwap,eyeline,eat, and everything else besides drive. Concealed Carry permits are usually not difficult to acquire (in general, not commenting on those that are unable to for various reasons) and there are many clothing choices for riding and carrying discretely, along with the normal methods. I wear a Speed and Strength Quick and the Dead vest that has internal "banana" holders on both sides. It also came with a "banana" holder on the outside that fits full size models.
One thing I have noticed for myself while going on rides and poker runs especially, you never know the rules of the establishment that you might be visiting. I have thought of attaching a lock box inside a saddle bag for those occasions.

So, long story short....I have thought about it, but opt to conceal.
Funny side note...I have seen one guy that had a unique "cane" that he placed across his handlebars while on the road. Unique in that it was an old railroad hammer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If things are so bad where one lives that they feel the need to be packing a gun every time they head out their door... even just to take a bike ride for goodness sake!... then perhaps they may want to at least think about moving to a nicer area, where there's no reason to constantly live in fear for their own safety.

Jee-zus, have things really gotten so bad now, that folks would even consider needing/wanting to carry a gun everywhere they go? Holy [email protected], I think I'll stay put, right here on my own little island paradise in Newfoundland, where people have absolutely no desire to harm a fellow human being, (for the past 300+ years!) thus no one ever need fear for their safety. In fact, the only reason to own a gun around here would be to bag a moose for the freezer each autumn.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm not a fan of open carry at any time. If anyone feels the need to carry in order to feel safe or potentially defend themselves then go through the hassle of getting a conceal carry permit. Open carry doesn't intimidate anyone or deter them from victimizing you, you've only put a target on your back. It's like playing poker with an open hand, you've shown all of your cards and let a mentally unstable offender know that you're merely the first one to neutralize.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I ride with a friend who likes to open carry here in North Carolina, I myself however prefer concealed. The comment someone made about “showing all your cards” is valid. The other comment about “stoking fear” also has some merit in that not everyone is comfortable with 2A rights and the excercise of those rights.
I would just prefer to remain the “hidden knight” should a problem arise where it’s needed. It is enough for me to know I have the protection without telling everyone in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,048 Posts
Open carry doesn't intimidate anyone or deter them from victimizing you, you've only put a target on your back. It's like playing poker with an open hand, you've shown all of your cards and let a mentally unstable offender know that you're merely the first one to neutralize.
i agree and disagree. you do place a target on yourself in some ways, but it is also intimidating to those around you. to me, it seems like it's just inviting trouble onto yourself even if you are just exercising your rights. you can exercise those same rights with concealment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts