Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got myself an '02 V-Star 650 and I'm curious if there any any options/modifications that can be done to make it more comfortable to ride... I'm only 5'4" and have to lean forward a ways to keep my hands on the handlebars when turning, also not sure the seated position will be very comfortable for longer rides. So... what could I look at changing for my vertically-challenged self?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look into handlebar risers. You can buy and install various sizes that will bring the bars back towards you. Another option would be different bars, but that will entail more work. I've done the risers on my Roadliner, and have been very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I agree with crperryman, risers come in several sizes. There's a decent amount of aftermarket items available for the 650s, at least there was a couple of years ago before I traded in my 650 for my 950.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
definitely check the rear spring preload setting (under the seat on the mono shock).

They are normally set for 200 lb riders. If you weigh less the rear spring will be too stiff, and the bike will sit higher.

look in the owners manual for instructions, and your tool kit for the wrench.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My wife is quite, ummm... vertically challenged, at a hair under five feet, (115 lbs) but she manages just fine on her new 650 Custom with no mods whatsoever. When we ordered the bike I was concerned that she might have an issue with comfortably reaching the foot pegs, (she has just shy of a 28" inseam) or the hand controls, or even the ground for that matter... but she has done just fine, finds it very comfortable. I am almost six feet and 200+ lbs, and it fits me perfectly as well. This bike truly is "one-size-fits-all"!

Glen

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Nice photos.

Im 6 foot exactly and I feel cramped on my 650 Classic after about an hour. the fact that 5' 0" can ride just fine explains that. (my inseam is 34") !

Im going to mod my seat this spring with a bit more foam to keep me from sliding forward, and to put a tail bone groove down the center, which should bring me up and back a bit.

I never ride for more than a few hours at at time, and I do like squeaking out 59.999 mpg commuting, but if I ever decide to go long distance riding I will definitely want a bigger bike, and a windshield and fairing.

Maybe I should not say this out loud here, but I have always been fond of the early Goldwings, up to about 1200. For an engineer the boxer engine is the ideal design for a multi piston engine.

EDITED: my bike is a 2005 650 Classic...

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
my classic it completely stock except for my back rest and lunch bag right behind it. No windshield, no bags in the wind.

My commute is nearly a perfect 45mph the whole way and only a few consistent red lights, so Im puttering at 45 in 5th gear nearly all the time... its also a 15 mile trip each way, so the bike is running warmed up nearly the whole time.

but I have never quite hit 60mpg commuting, always just under.

I have hit the low 60s on longer trips with no stops/traffic, but still not getting much over 55mph.

The rule of physics for speed on any vehicle is to go twice as fast requires 8 times the HP

which means (all things being even) going twice as fast uses 4 times as much fuel (because you are using 8 times the HP but for only half the time to go the same distance). The graph of this would indicate 60 mpg at 45mph means only 15 mpg at 90mph on my bike. Never tried to measure that!

That does not hold up all the way down to 1mph, because at somewhere below 40 you start using more fuel keeping the engine running than you are using moving the bike. At 0 mph you are getting 0mpg with the engine running.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The graph of this would indicate 60 mpg at 45mph means only 15 mpg at 90mph on my bike. Never tried to measure that!
Lucy has a windshield, saddle bags and a K&N air filter. And, even when I played with extending my mileage, I wasn't certain what speed to target, thanks for that.

My best has been 43 mpg so far taking it easy with both street and expressway driving. A bit more aggressive and I'm 37-38 mpg.

On the other hand, I can tell you what it's like to go 115mph fully loaded albeit downhill and push for hours upwards of 90-95 mph keeping up with much larger bikes for 3 days. >:) Unfortunately I didn't keep mpg because obviously we were in a hurry!

With that said, I tend to ride much more leisurely by my lonesome.

Thanks for the info KCW.

Vroom!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
If my estimate is correct running at 90 mph you must have been stopping for gas every 60 miles with your 4.6 gallon tank.

?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nearly 60 mpg, really?

What year is your Custom and how do you have it set up?

I have an '04 Classic and I'm in the low 40's.

The missus is averaging 70-71 mpg (Imperial gallons) on her 2014 650 Custom... or 58-59 mpg (US gallons)

Glen

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
The missus is averaging 70-71 mpg (Imperial gallons) on her 2014 650 Custom... or 58-59 mpg (US gallons)

Glen
Ok.... I see.... so I ride like a girl! o_O

my son tells me I drive my car like an old man...

and I tell him "and ?!" .....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ok.... I see.... so I ride like a girl! o_O .....
Haha, you oughta see how the Missus rides that thing! I even caught her once going over 175 km/h in the convertible... and she's the same way on her bike!

Glen

·
Registered
81 Posts
If my estimate is correct running at 90 mph you must have been stopping for gas every 60 miles with your 4.6 gallon tank.

?
No, we stopped somewhere between 110 - 125 miles usually and most often because the 1300 Royal Star that I ended up buying from my brother after the trip was the one needing gas. The RS hits reserve at right around 110-114 miles normally as I'm driving it now. I think my brother was willing to push a little bit beyond that knowing that I was carrying a spare gallon of gas for all of us which we ended up using just a couple of miles short of a station early on in our trip.

And, while I understand that pushing a bike full throttle isn't the best idea repeatedly and for long distances, I can say that I remain impressed at how my 650 performed for the entirety of the trip. Lucy ran with the big boys an 1100, 1300 and an 1800 for some 1500 miles and but for the need of some drafting at times when they wanted to hang near 100 mph to hit Reno before sunset, performed beautifully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts