Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the bank today, (with my wife's permission of course) and withdrew some cash. I then proceeded to go and look at a couple bikes I saw on craigslist. I had never ridden a big twin before so that is what I was out to do. Took the money with me just in case. The first bike I rode was a 2008 Victory Kingpin with 100 cu. in. and a 6spd tranny. The second bike was a Harley Softail standard 88 cu. in. and a 5 spd. The Victory was the better performer of the two and I might have bought it even though the values have tanked if the check engine light wouldn't have come on during the ride. The owner said he would knock off $200 because of the light (don't need any headaches though). The reason I was looking today is I wanted to see what all the hype is about when it comes to Big V's. I left satisfied once again that the 1100 is the right bike for me, it corners much better for me and it has plenty of zip for our PA roads and highways. It felt like I was having to force these 2 bikes around corners compared to my V Star. I'm sure some of it was familiarity but neither of the bigger bikes impressed me enough to buy even though they were low mileage bikes in excellent condition. Guess I will be taking the same old V Star 1100 to the Thunder In The Valley rally again this year. I did buy a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 and Leupold Legend scope though and then redeposited the rest of the money back in the bank.:grin:

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
your 1100 is a full sized bike, and the way you have it set up you have a great bike for cruising on the highway for hours, or pop off the windshield and saddle bags and head north on all those 2 lane roads up thru the national forest or over to central PA for the day

your bike is exactly in the center of all the things a person could want to do on a motorcycle

I got my 650 thinking it was a big bike when I got my license 6 years ago. I had owned a 175 2 cycle enduro bike for decades, and had a 175 twin honda back in the seventies, from that perspective 650 was a big jump

after a few years and several 200+ mile day trips I wanted to get something for longer rides, not necessarily that much faster, but more stable and comfortable on longer trips - looked at a Road Star or a Royal Star and ended up with my 2000 Royal Star V4 1300.

For me the difference between the two makes it worth my trouble to keep both - I commute on the 650 now and take "Ursa" out on the day trips.

But from what you already have with the 1100, it would be tough to rationalize the small jump up to any of the bigger bikes, unless you were planning on touring for weeks, riding two up all day fairly often, and esp if you wanted to be on the interstate highways all the time.

I know that pull from looking at motorcycles on Craigslist for years, I see lots of bikes I would like to have in the garage, and always wondered what I might be missing out on...

Once you ride one motorcycle, you want to ride them all, at least for a day.

I should add, the feeling you got that the bigger bikes didnt corner as well. Ive noticed from putting 30k miles on my 650 I have become very in-tune with that bike. Just putting the windshield on it makes it feel different enough that all the subtle muscle memory things are a bit off, and it feels like something is wrong with the bike.

Im still not taking corners on the RS as fast and easy as I do on the 650. Im sure its only because the wheel base is longer, the tires are bigger (heavier) and I have to lean and steer it differently than I have become use to on the 650. Im also really good at riding the 650 slow, like 1mph, creeping up to red lights and stop signs, looking both ways without putting my feet down... Gradually getting better at it on the RS, but I blow it and have to put my feet down sometimes still, and again the bike feels wrong, just because it is different.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My bike has a 39° rake and is 71" long. Very odd sensation the first few times out but I carve corners now like nobody's business. Just took some time to trust my learned skills and get familiar with a new ride.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nothing wrong with re-looking at the "menu" to see if your current order is correct.
I love Biggie! She is a great bike. Not perfect. But, great for my current 'biker path'.
There is one issue I have with Yamaha on this bike.
The rev limiter/governor!
I cannot believe it red lines at 4000. The governor "stops" at 3500. So when I hit it at higher speeds. Thus asking for more rev. The bike does not act as I think it deserves.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It's great that you tried bigger and realize you have exactly the bike you want. I loved my 1100 but I wanted something a little bigger for two up road trips so I picked up my current ride, a 1600 Vulcan Nomad. Now that I've had some time to get used to it, I find it's exactly what I want. Yes, it's bigger and not as nimble around town, but very manageable. On the highway is where it really shines though - smooth, stable, and more power than I'll ever need. I took my 1100 for a ride last week while the Nomad was apart for triple tree bearings and I discovered that there is no going back. I was hesitant to sell it because I really love that bike, but now I know it'll never be enough for me again. I have a lot of great memories, but knowing that will make it a little easier to part with.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean N.rider, there have been a couple times when out on interstate that I wished for something different. Never because of lack of power more of an engine speed/RPM thing. I will admit I have a little bike envy when it comes to the classic Harley sound but then I realize how good this bike has been to me, it has been utterly reliable and fun. I really enjoyed the roll-on power of that 100cu. in. Victory yesterday until the check engine light came on and I realized that if it shut down because of fuel injection/sensor it wouldn't be just a wrench or screwdriver adjustment or fix, but a flatbed or trailer ride to the dealer. I think this is why so many guys trailer there bikes to rallies and such. I have friends that come from Ohio and stay at my camp for the rally in Johnstown and even though it is only a little over 100 miles they all trailer their bikes. When I go out to their place I ride. I guess I have learned to love the reliability/simplicity of this bike also. Not saying I won't ever make a change but nothing has tripped my trigger yet.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
there are tradeoffs between carbs and pushrods and fuel injection and overhead cams with timing chains

I hope you get a chance to take a Road Star (1 carb and pushrods) and a Royal Star (4 carbs, overhead cams, water cooled) for a ride, a Road Liner, Stratoliner... They are all great bikes and very reliable.

I ride in the NE corner of PA a few times a year - if there is a regional event we both attend sometime I would be glad to swap bikes for a few hours.

BTW, I think a big part of the reason you see people hauling bikes around on trailers is some of them are very expensive, new or used, and they simply dont want to put long distance/highway miles on the odo... For some people being a "biker" is more important than actually riding the motorbike.

·
Registered
936 Posts
BTW, I think a big part of the reason you see people hauling bikes around on trailers is some of them are very expensive, new or used, and they simply dont want to put long distance/highway miles on the odo... For some people being a "biker" is more important than actually riding the motorbike.
That is just sad! Boarding on pathetic.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
sad for them, great for us: the result is a lot of used cruiser bikes on the market with low miles on the odo

because the owner liked having a motorcycle more than he liked riding it

got my Royal Star for $2400 with 24k miles on the odo - it was originally MSRP $13,949

the previous owners got to "have it" for $10,000

and now I get to ride it another 80k miles for $2,400

BTW Scrumdown: that rev limiter on your Roadstar is there because it does not have a tach...

too many MC riders consider the redline on a tach to be a personal challenge.... :^O

·
Registered
936 Posts
BTW Scrumdown: that rev limiter on your Roadstar is there because it does not have a tach...

too many MC riders consider the redline on a tach to be a personal challenge.... :^O
I understand the no tach reason. However, I think the rev limiter is set too low. That's just my opinion. AND we all know what opinions are like.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Through my personal experience the 1100 is just fine. I have rode a VTX1800 for the last 10 years. The last couple of years not much. Decided to be done riding and sold it. Hard to maneuver it around the yard and garage. Sold it and i was done until the next day when i missed it. The following weekend i bought my classic for $2500. In the last 2 weeks i have ridden the Vstar more than i have the VTX in the last 2 years. Not bashing the VTX it was a great bike for years but at over 800# a lot now that i am aging. Absolutely do not regret the change plus cash in the bank

·
Registered
511 Posts
Went to the bank today, (with my wife's permission of course) and withdrew some cash. I then proceeded to go and look at a couple bikes I saw on craigslist. I had never ridden a big twin before so that is what I was out to do. Took the money with me just in case. The first bike I rode was a 2008 Victory Kingpin with 100 cu. in. and a 6spd tranny. The second bike was a Harley Softail standard 88 cu. in. and a 5 spd. The Victory was the better performer of the two and I might have bought it even though the values have tanked if the check engine light wouldn't have come on during the ride. The owner said he would knock off $200 because of the light (don't need any headaches though). The reason I was looking today is I wanted to see what all the hype is about when it comes to Big V's. I left satisfied once again that the 1100 is the right bike for me, it corners much better for me and it has plenty of zip for our PA roads and highways. It felt like I was having to force these 2 bikes around corners compared to my V Star. I'm sure some of it was familiarity but neither of the bigger bikes impressed me enough to buy even though they were low mileage bikes in excellent condition. Guess I will be taking the same old V Star 1100 to the Thunder In The Valley rally again this year. I did buy a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 and Leupold Legend scope though and then redeposited the rest of the money back in the bank.:grin:

@Grizzer Sometimes when you get an itch... you just gotta scratch it! I was wondering what happened with your friend who had the close encounter with the electrical lines? Is she okay?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry been out of town but thanks for asking about her redbird. She is home but still pretty banged up, going to have to go through some physical and occupational therapy. Her 2 big problems are fractures in her lumbar spine and she also tore up her rotator cuff in her left shoulder and needs surgery to repair. Ribs are pretty sore and we all no how long they take to heal. She says she hopes to be back on a bike before the end of the season.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It is good to hear she is getting better! I hope her recovery goes well and she is able to get back in the saddle when she is ready. Her situation and @Keith Post niece's situation has made me re evaluate my attention to riding gear and safety. Prayers from Ohio for her speedy recovery!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts