Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 950T will have to live outside under a cover. The cover goes down onto the tires. It is vented at the top to allow the humidity out and prevent condensation on the inside. I have checked at hot weather or rain and see that water is not condensing on the bike. I do see that the Front brake rotor and the rear sprocket are getting splashed. Are there specific issues with keeping it outside and under the cover that I should be watching out for on the 950T?

Registered
Mine are all outside under covers. I figured something out for our big storms. I used to put straps on to hold them on. I put tarp grommets in front of back tire and behind front tire, then used those cheap carbineer used for keys. They hold great. No more chasing the cover in a hurricane.

Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
I'm going to follow this thread closely. I've always been lucky and had a garage. Next year when I move to my new place I'll just have a carport.

No more chasing the cover in a hurricane.
I can see @Jspree chasing his bike cover as it blows down the road.

Registered
... I put tarp grommets in front of back tire and behind front tire, then used those cheap carbineer used for keys. They hold great. No more chasing the cover in a hurricane.
My cover had straps and broke in the last rainstorm. Technically, I think they called it a tropical storm.
I'm gonna try this tarp grommet idea.
For those following... Maybe I make a video or at least take picture of how it turns out.

Ride smart. Ride often!

Registered
I'm going to follow this thread closely. I've always been lucky and had a garage. Next year when I move to my new place I'll just have a carport.

I can see @Jspree chasing his bike cover as it blows down the road.

View attachment 108204
I keep my boat by my brothers house 25 miles away. He lives right by a lake. Last spring he had to chase my motor cover it was up in a tree across the street from him.

Registered
I've built a small pole barn to park my bikes in. The roof is probably higher than it should be for just the motorcycles, but I wanted to be able to put my truck under it in the future. As such, they are probably more exposed to the weather than they should be. Its humid in the FL panhandle, even if it hasn't rained in quite some time. If the bike doesn't move for a period of time, the brake discs will start to show rust. A couple of applications of the brakes, quickly clears that off; no problem.

@lesblank if you car port is built such that, from an angle, the rain and sun don't reach the bike you should be fine. I don't recall from your description, if your carport will be attached to the house or separate. If its attached, put the bikes on the side next to the house. If it separate, study the weather patterns in the area (look at airport runways for the predominate wind directions) and consider putting sides on the car port. I've thought about, but haven't gone that far yet, of using a type of roll up side on mine.

This will be my layout 18 by 30 carport or possible 18 by 40.

Looking to do a combo unit like this:

Won't be paved at first. But will soon after we get there. Hopefully just a nice cover will keep dust off. Bike will be parked next to storage part. Should be covered from sun and rain. Ground is rock with a few amount of dirt. Drains real good when it rains. I had Carla park where the carport will be, the sticks are a rough layout. Bike would be park sideways in front of her Edge. Look like it's doable?

Reactions: vito and Boog

Registered
This will be my layout 18 by 30 carport or possible 18 by 40.

View attachment 108230

Looking to do a combo unit like this:

View attachment 108231

Won't be paved at first. But will soon after we get there. Hopefully just a nice cover will keep dust off. Bike will be parked next to storage part. Should be covered from sun and rain. Ground is rock with a few amount of dirt. Drains real good when it rains. I had Carla park where the carport will be, the sticks are a rough layout. Bike would be park sideways in front of her Edge. Look like it's doable?

View attachment 108233
As I said before, seek out the nearest airport. There is bound to be a small one nearby, even if it has only one runway. Because planes need to takeoff and land into the wind, before the runways are laid out, they do studies to determine which direction the wind blows the most. If you're lucky, it may turn out that your shed will align with that. If not, even a tarp hung along the sides, just out from the shed and you should be pretty well protected.

I retired from the FAA. I spent a lot of time going to school in OKC. The wind used to run pretty much north and south. The phrase I remember is that Kansas blows and Texas sucks (or vice versa if it was going in the other direction). Not knowing what time of day the picture with you layout was taken, I can't be sure about the direction of the shadows, but I'm guessing that your shed will be on the north end, so you should be good.

Thanks, shed end is north. Here's a shot from the opposite direction. My land goes up past those trees. It get pretty vertical behind where shed will be.

The closest airport's main run way appears to run north to south. My land is where the o in the word shores. Thanks again for the info.

Reactions: CantRider and Boog

Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
@Gunther I have lived in a townhouse without a garage for 12 year now. My bike with a chain (FZ-1) lived under a cover just as my current bikes do. The rain splashing never seems to bother me or the bikes. It is the humidity that gets to the metal parts (despite the ventilation) that causes any problem in my case.

When I would be away from home on a business trip, I would find the brake disks will show some rust. But like @CantRider pointed out, just riding the bike and applying the brake will fix that.

As for the chain on the FZ-1, I would clean it and apply new lube after riding in the rain or every 250 miles. That chain and sprocket lasted over 50K miles.

The cover won't blow away if it is fastened. But if the wind is strong enough, it can blow the bike over. This is mainly a concern for sport bikes which are lighter and taller than you 950T, but maybe have a wind break nearby if possible.

When my bikes stay for a few days under the cover, I seem to always find various insects and spider taking up residence, just be aware of that if you are not a daily rider.

I use the Dowco all weather covers on my main two bikes (Rocket III and Stratoliner)
20200830c.jpg
20210214.jpg

With both of these bikes off line right now, I see more blown grass under the cover than usual. Other than these, I don't have anything bad to mention after years of using covers. I would rather have a garage of course, but making due this way seems to work to a point.

Reactions: Jspree and lesblank

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! One less thing to worry about. I have not seen any bugs but I will keep a lookout for them.

@Gunther I have lived in a townhouse without a garage for 12 year now. My bike with a chain (FZ-1) lived under a cover just as my current bikes do. The rain splashing never seems to bother me or the bikes. It is the humidity that gets to the metal parts (despite the ventilation) that causes any problem in my case.

When I would be away from home on a business trip, I would find the brake disks will show some rust. But like @CantRider pointed out, just riding the bike and applying the brake will fix that.

As for the chain on the FZ-1, I would clean it and apply new lube after riding in the rain or every 250 miles. That chain and sprocket lasted over 50K miles.

The cover won't blow away if it is fastened. But if the wind is strong enough, it can blow the bike over. This is mainly a concern for sport bikes which are lighter and taller than you 950T, but maybe have a wind break nearby if possible.

When my bikes stay for a few days under the cover, I seem to always find various insects and spider taking up residence, just be aware of that if you are not a daily rider.

I use the Dowco all weather covers on my main two bikes (Rocket III and Stratoliner) View attachment 108263 View attachment 108264
With both of these bikes off line right now, I see more blown grass under the cover than usual. Other than these, I don't have anything bad to mention after years of using covers. I would rather have a garage of course, but making due this way seems to work to a point.

Registered
The only problem I have had with critters is at my granddaughter's. There is a cat that gets up under the cover and lays on the seat. I keep threatening to make fajitas out of him.

Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
Like others have said, no problem storing under a cover. I use a $20 cover from Amazon and it is weatherproof and breathes. I not only keep my bike under it, my helmet lives under it as well.

But this is So Cal, so my experiences are softball stuff compared to most of the country. Only issue I ever have is that wind will blow it off. We got home from our last vacation and the cover was completely off the bike, barely snagged at the rear rack. I don't know how long it sat like that before we got home. When I am expecting wind I just set a lumber short on top of it.

Reactions: lesblank

Registered
2012 V-Star 950
I use this one. No problem so far. Not much in the way of splash up. The elastic on the two ends keeps it tight and there is a fastener that goes under the bike. We have had a few severe thunderstorms go through. No issues.

Registered
The only problem I've ever had with a cover was an old cover on a 4 wheeler that blew off. It was like 17 years old and was only held on by worn out elastic around the bottom edge.

Snowmobiles use covers with straps that cross underneath and snug down. When secured, they'll even hold on while going down the highway on a trailer. Just make sure the straps are all tight.

The only problem I have had with critters is at my granddaughter's.
The only problem I'd had with critters was under my snowmobile cover. Pulled it off to find that over the summer, the yellowjackets had made themselves at home. Glad it was late November when I found it. 馃ザ

Registered
The closest airport's main run way appears to run north to south. My land is where the o in the word shores. Thanks again for the info.
According to the Tx Dept of Trans the prevailing winds are

I keep my bike outside with a cover in the summer and in heated storage during the winter. Since your in south Texas you shouldn't need to worry about heated storage in the winter, a good cover should work fine. Wished I still lived in Texas.

Registered
Thanks everyone! One less thing to worry about. I have not seen any bugs but I will keep a lookout for them.
I rent a storage unit close to my apartment and store the bike there. When I want to ride I usually just walk or ride my bicycle to the place and grab the bike. Plus it affords me a place to work on it under cover/store parts ect. A 10x15 climate controlled unit by me is about $80/mo with $10k in insurance coverage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts