Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reset my overall average fuel economy once after I bought the bike and have now run it for about 2,800 miles and my overall average on the read out is 40.4 MPG. That is several tanks of fuel run through the engine mixed city and open road riding, with about 70% two up and 30% one up riding.

Total mileage on the bike right now is 4,202 miles, the glare from the sun blocked out the mileage on the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks American this is better than what I get but I ride like I stole it. I will know better when I ride north to Tennessee. I will report back when I get back from the tail of the dragon what mileage I got.
Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another fill up, this one 159.0 miles and 3.7 gallons of gas.

159 / 3.7 = 42.97 MPG

Heat was 93 degrees today during the ride. Engine heat was a none issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Another fill up, this one 159.0 miles and 3.7 gallons of gas.

159 / 3.7 = 42.97 MPG

Heat was 93 degrees today during the ride. Engine heat was a none issue.
American,
Thanks again for the update, I'm hoping that I can get the same. ����

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short ride yesterday had to dodge rain storms that meant turning around and finding alternate routes home, longer 2 1/2 hour ride this morning before the rains hit this afternoon. Tank was all two up riding with the wife.

Gallons 4.092

Miles 188.7

Average MPG 46.11

Hand calculated.

This Yamaha Star Venture is capable of some outright awesome fuel mileage.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should note I only run top their fuels, 95% Chevron, the other 5% between Shell and Mobil. Top Tier fuels have more detergents in them than the federal government requires and were developed by vehicle manufactures and the oil companies. Chevron Techron is one of the very best fuel additives to keep your engine clean it helps to keep carbon from building up on the pistons and valves and keeps the fuel injectors clean.

When I can't get Chevron I use Shell or Mobil both of whom are also Top Tier fuels as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I should note I only run top their fuels, 95% Chevron, the other 5% between Shell and Mobil. Top Tier fuels have more detergents in them than the federal government requires and were developed by vehicle manufactures and the oil companies. Chevron Techron is one of the very best fuel additives to keep your engine clean it helps to keep carbon from building up on the pistons and valves and keeps the fuel injectors clean.

When I can't get Chevron I use Shell or Mobil both of whom are also Top Tier fuels as well.
American, thank you. I will give the Chevron fuel a try.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Canadian Shell 91 octane, Premium Nitro blend (100 percent ethanol free)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

42-44 all the time now...two up.

47 (never have gone over this) about three times so far since May 6th.

This is 33% better than any mean average fuel burn on our past 2008 GL1800. Same real-world power...same passing time, same, same...but at 33 percent less fuel burn. LOVING IT! My wallet's loving it...

"Joe", the Knight said, "you chose wisely"....

"Yes, Sir stuck-in-this-cave, I apparently did just that!".... :)
"By the way, can I keep this chalice?" My wife loves the color scheme...."

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's a bit different for me here in Canada. The gallons are different for one thing and we use the metric system for mileage and fuel quantity. I get 65 miles per gallon with my V-Star 650 .... 21 km per liter of fuel. I use the cheapest fuel I can find. My tank holds 16.1 liters of gas.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Overall average mileage multiple fill ups over 3,000 miles is now up to 40.9 MPG. Filled up this morning 120.1 miles 2.785 gallons of fuel for a 43.12 MPG hand calculated.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last three tanks of fuel riding two up were:

1. 45.54 MPG

2. 45.18 MPG

3. 46.11 MPG

All hand calculated.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Last three tanks of fuel riding two up were:

1. 45.54 MPG

2. 45.18 MPG

3. 46.11 MPG

All hand calculated.
I haven’t “hand calculated” mine yet, but the onboard one says I’m getting almost 40mpg.
Now mind you, I’m aggressive in throttle and highway cruising speeds (for me) are 70-80mph.
I usually run 5-10mph sometimes 15mph above posted on highway.

OMG!!! What am I DOING??!!!
Confessing illegal actions to Highway Patrol?!!
RETRACTION: Uh, Uh, I didn’t see the sign officer!
😁

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I find the 0.01 MPG resolution of your measurement amusing.

That is 52 feet of resolution on distance, or about 1/2 of an ounce resolution on fuel...

My 650 drives me buggy, because I consistently get 59 point something mpg. I think there is a circuit on the bike, when its close to getting 60mpg it starts dumping fuel on the street.

I thought about hyper-mile-ing the bike bike for a week, just to see it go over 60, but I would probably burn out the starter or something stupid.

I find it fascinating that my motorcycle can go a mile on two ounces of fuel. That is two tablespoons of gas in each carb. Say Ahhhhh!.....

·
Registered
930 Posts
Since my mishap with the dead fuel pump on Skyline Drive and replacing it. My mpg has been this ...
tank 1 - 38.5 mpg
tank 2 - 39.1 mpg
tank 3 - 39.6 mpg
tank 4 - 40.0 mpg

Now, I am not sure it's because the old pump was failing (delivering too much gas) or that I am getting better at how/when I shift and how I twist the throttle. Either way, I am very happy!

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
^ your 2000 Roadstar has the single carb. The fuel pump would either be able to keep up with the float bowl demand, or it would fall short and the engine would starve for fuel, like you hit the kill switch.

If you have a fuel injected bike and the fuel pump drops off from its target (regulated) pressure, the bike would start running crazy lean.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I haven’t “hand calculated” mine yet, but the onboard one says I’m getting almost 40mpg.
Now mind you, I’m aggressive in throttle and highway cruising speeds (for me) are 70-80mph.

😁
Ooh not me Chief, I am always about 5 miles per hour under the posted speed limit, wink, wink, nod, nod.
Anyway not sure why I am only getting about 35 miles per gallon. Sometimes in the 34's and sometimes in the 35's per gallon.
I am hoping I get way better when I head north on the open road and set cruise.
I really think when I am running this bike at or above 80 it really drinks the fuel.

I think I seen something go from my bike to the car next to me on the highway and siphon fuel, hehehe. That goodness for that option.

Also recently I have left this in sport mode only. Haven't done a miles per gallon check in sport mode only.
I will switch this back to tour mode for the highway ride up for the 250 miles. I am hoping to make it on one tank. 🙏🏻🤞🏻

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
To understand fuel consumption as a function of speed, understand that the air friction increases by 4X when your speed doubles.

When wind resistance becomes the dominate load on the engine, to go twice as fast requires 8 times as much horse power.

When you go twice as fast you cover the same distance in half the time, so that means you use 4 times as much energy (fuel, or battery power in an electric vehicle) to go the same distance twice as fast.

Because motorcycles tend to have a large engine compared to the weight of the vehicle, the engine self-load remains significant even up to 50 mph. This means on a bike like the 650 you will get better fuel economy at 50 than you do at 30, because at 30 the engine is using a good amount of energy just keeping the engine spinning and there is almost no wind load.

But once you get up to 60, if you are getting 40mpg at 60mph, you can expect to get about 10mpg at 120mph.

BTW, this is why electric vehicles are no good for road trips. Since it takes so long to fully charge a lithium ion battery (still about an hour) a modern EV car can only average about 45mph on a road trip - for every 3 hours you drive, you have to spend an hour recharging the battery. And the faster you drive, the lower your average speed is, because you are using more and more energy to drive faster, but it still takes an hour to recharge the battery.

In a gas powered vehicle, since you are putting fuel into the tank, instead of transferring energy into a battery, you can refuel a vehicle in less than a minute - so if you drive at 190mph (like a NASCAR) for an hour, then refuel in one minute, and drive 190mph for the next hour, the amount of time you spend refueling has much less impact on your average speed.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

😁
Ooh not me Chief, I am always about 5 miles per hour under the posted speed limit, wink, wink, nod, nod.
Anyway not sure why I am only getting about 35 miles per gallon. Sometimes in the 34's and sometimes in the 35's per gallon.
I really think when I am running this bike at or above 80 it really drinks the fuel.

I think I seen something go from my bike to the car next to me on the highway and siphon fuel, hehehe. That goodness for that option.

Also recently I have left this in sport mode only. Haven't done a miles per gallon check in sport mode only.
I will switch this back to tour mode for the highway ride up for the 250 miles. I am hoping to make it on one tank. 🙏🏻🤞🏻
How many miles do you have on your SVTC?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

😁

There’s no doubt in my experience that I get much better gas mileage at 70-75. It does go down noticeably at 80 or above. Have had her up to 110mph just to check out how she rides... rock steady and had plenty more to give but not something I wanted to try.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts