Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some owners of this beautiful bike chime in on this thread? I'm looking at selling my V Star next season and getting a 2021 R Spec, just wanted to get some owner feedback first. Obviously I'll test ride it first, but the closest Yamaha dealer is over an hour from me and it's winter here, so that won't be for a few months. Just looking to hear from those of you who actually own the bike and what your first impressions were versus where you stand now after a year or greater of ownership. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't own one, but my son does (Bolt R-Spec). We ride often and he loves his. Now he has his bike customized to his liking. He has a mustang seat, forward controls, Vance & Hines full exhaust, air intake and fuel management system. He does have to stop every so often (mostly during fuel ups) to stretch and give his butt and break. His only real complaint is the small-ish fuel tank, about 100-120 miles before he has to fill up. He's got miles of smiles.

·
Registered
1989 XT600Z Tenere and 2009 F800ST
1,787 Posts
I have only sat briefly on one and really should not comment, but I always tend to do what I should not... NOTE: Before you read on, though, let me make it clear that you should in no way form your opionions upon anyone elses but your own - what I like/dislike may not at all be what you are into!

My impressions:
Very cool looking (Yamaha anniversary/Kenny Roberts paint scheme)
Rather nasty looking in detail; naff exhaust, footpeg brackets looked like after-thoughts etc.
Rock hard and narrow seat
Weird riding position with pegs too far forward compared to the low handlebars
Very heavy to lift off the sidestand - it almost felt like the stand was bolted to the floor
Hard to read instrument

My son was dead set on buying one, but lost all interest after 10 seconds on board in the showroom. He still think it looks cool, though!

Adjusting the valves is also an adventure in itself, there are several videos on Youtube to entertain you, but that is thankfully not a daily adventure.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
918 Posts
There is a 2015 model at a bike shop l help out that they use as a rental bike. It is completely stock with around 35k on it.
It has never needed anything other than occasional maintenance, it is very reliable
Could use a pipe and some tuning and maybe a better seat.

If the aesthetics suit you, mechanically it's a gem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't own one, but my son does (Bolt R-Spec). We ride often and he loves his. Now he has his bike customized to his liking. He has a mustang seat, forward controls, Vance & Hines full exhaust, air intake and fuel management system. He does have to stop every so often (mostly during fuel ups) to stretch and give his butt and break. His only real complaint is the small-ish fuel tank, about 100-120 miles before he has to fill up. He's got miles of smiles.
I feel like that's common with a lot of bikes, the urge to replace the stock seat, especially for extended trips. Thanks for the input, I'm definitely digging it and I've narrowed my next purchase down to two bikes. The Bolt or the Indian Scout Bobber.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have only sat briefly on one and really should not comment, but I always tend to do what I should not... NOTE: Before you read on, though, let me make it clear that you should in no way form your opionions upon anyone elses but your own - what I like/dislike may not at all be what you are into!

My impressions:
Very cool looking (Yamaha anniversary/Kenny Roberts paint scheme)
Rather nasty looking in detail; naff exhaust, footpeg brackets looked like after-thoughts etc.
Rock hard and narrow seat
Weird riding position with pegs too far forward compared to the low handlebars
Very heavy to lift off the sidestand - it almost felt like the stand was bolted to the floor
Hard to read instrument

My son was dead set on buying one, but lost all interest after 10 seconds on board in the showroom. He still think it looks cool, though!

Adjusting the valves is also an adventure in itself, there are several videos on Youtube to entertain you, but that is thankfully not a daily adventure.
Yeah, I need to do a valve adjustment on mine next time I do some maintenance on it. Totally not looking forward to that. Regarding the hard to read instrument gauge, I feel that is a common complaint with the bike. Majority of reviews I've watched on YouTube tend to say the same thing. Hopefully they'll correct that if they launch a second generation of Bolt's. To be honest, I'm not opposed to ditching the digital and going back to analog. Back to the basics isn't ever a bad thing, especially on a bike. You, two wheels and the road is what I like best. I can do without the digital gauges, big screens and navigation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought one in 2013 ( I know 2014 was the first year) I put 25,000 miles on it, it took me every where I wanted to go, the photo was taken when I rode it to Sturgis. I've had a lot of motorcycles and the Bolt is a very good motorcycle.
Love it. Do you still have the bike? I got mine a little late in the year this year, so I didn't get to do as much riding as I'd hoped for, but next season, regardless of what I'm riding, I'll be riding much, much more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a 2015 model at a bike shop l help out that they use as a rental bike. It is completely stock with around 35k on it.
It has never needed anything other than occasional maintenance, it is very reliable
Could use a pipe and some tuning and maybe a better seat.

If the aesthetics suit you, mechanically it's a gem.
That's awesome. I'd love to rent one for a few days before I make my set in stone decision on it. If I do get one, I'll certainly be getting the Vance & Hines set for it. The pipes, air cleaner, and fuel pak tuning system.

·
Registered
2013 Roadliner
24 Posts
Love it. Do you still have the bike? I got mine a little late in the year this year, so I didn't get to do as much riding as I'd hoped for, but next season, regardless of what I'm riding, I'll be riding much, much more.
I traded it last year for a 2013 RoadLiner with 2300 miles on it. The Road Liner is an awesome motorcycle but it hasn’t proven itself to be as trouble free as the Bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.