Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am wanting to paint a tsukayu fairing that is primed. My bike is the Yamaha raven black color. Does anyone have experience doing this? Obviously it won't be perfect but would a gloss black work from rustoleum? What kind of paint should be used? If its a gloss black do u still need a clear coat? I don't have any equipment so it would have to be spray paint.

Any advice/ideas would be wonderful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When i did the lower half of my windshield i used a gloss black krylon i think it was for plastics. Didn't do clear coat but did wet sand to with a 3000 between coats and a 4000 after the last. Looks decent. Sum imperfections due to tushing the prep and got sum dust in the one coat but from a few feet away looks great. I know there's a place around here that with a paint code can mix up automotive colors with clear coat in them in rattle cans. Which reminds me i should probably get sum pics of the windshield since i painted it, lol.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ok so I am wanting to paint a tsukayu fairing that is primed. My bike is the Yamaha raven black color. Does anyone have experience doing this? Obviously it won't be perfect but would a gloss black work from rustoleum? What kind of paint should be used? If its a gloss black do u still need a clear coat? I don't have any equipment so it would have to be spray paint.

Any advice/ideas would be wonderful.
vhs gloss black eng paint it's more durable. then clear coat it so the wind doesn't strip it off, any paint you chose will need to be clear coated, something that sticks into wind like that i'd clear it twice

·
Registered
203 Posts
I actually painted the bottom half of the windshield, no fairing. If using 2 different kinds or brands of paint make sure to test on something. Not all paints play nice with each other as far as adhesion. I'd look around to see if somewhere around u mixes automotive paints in spray cans as they can do it with clear already in it. Here it's like 16 or so a can if i remember right.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i looked up color code and it costs like $33 for one spray can and about the same for a can of clear coat. how many do u think id need?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vhs gloss black eng paint it's more durable. then clear coat it so the wind doesn't strip it off, any paint you chose will need to be clear coated, something that sticks into wind like that i'd clear it twice
did u mean vht?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
When i did the lower half of my windshield i used a gloss black krylon i think it was for plastics. Didn't do clear coat but did wet sand to with a 3000 between coats and a 4000 after the last. Looks decent. Sum imperfections due to tushing the prep and got sum dust in the one coat but from a few feet away looks great. I know there's a place around here that with a paint code can mix up automotive colors with clear coat in them in rattle cans. Which reminds me i should probably get sum pics of the windshield since i painted it, lol.
mixing clear coat with pigmented paint defeats the purpose of the clear coat

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
did u mean vht?
yes VHT gloss black i'v even used it on the frame in spots where the paint was chipping not perfect but works pretty good, one day i'll do the frame with something really durable like a urethane based paint, powder coating is to expensive for a budget bike like my 650

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
well i looked up color code and it costs like $33 for one spray can and about the same for a can of clear coat. how many do u think id need?
oem paint is rip off don't go that route unless your trying to match perfectly, i had to do it for my side covers to match the rest of the bike was like 100.00 for paint and materials and pinstripes and such. i,m still wondering if it was worth it. my bike was two toned except for the side covers now their two toned too

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your not looking for perfect then get a black you think will match pretty close. spray it on something else and see how close it is. You may have to try a few.

Then get clear in a spray can. I'd do several coats of each.

The V-Star I bought had a dented/damaged tank when I got it. So I'm painting it. I decided on sun yellow (It's the wife's favorite color and maybe she will not be upset if I keep it. LOL) I am painting the entire bike with spray cans from Wal Mart. I'm using a higher end paint and then going with a satin clear as I wanted to try something other than a shiny paint job on this one. A dull color doesn't quite show the imperfections as bad as a shiny paint.

I did about 3 coats of each and it looks pretty good so far. I've only done the side covers so far though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok.. Yeah only reason I'm not having it professionally done is because I want to change it all later but no funds so the black will only be on there a year or 2 at most. And there can't be that much difference in black color I'd think. Yellow sounds like it'll come out unique as a matte color. It'll be interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yep, the satin/matte yellow looks pretty good just on the little I've done. It should be unique for sure. And the fender rails, wheels and frame have been powder coated black. The black, chrome and yellow should go well together. As long as it doesn't look like a bumble bee. LOL

I'd have to look at the paint I used to see what brand/type it is. But it was about $5-$6 a can. I figure 3-4 cans should paint the entire bike. Of course then I'll use about the same amount of clear which is about the same price. So, I should be able to paint the entire bike for less than $50.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hate to break it to ya but.... Its gonna look like a bumble bee hahahaha

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's a pic of that windshield. To clear up confusion rather i painted a fairing or windshield, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's pretty cool looks like my windshield except mine tinted and lightens to clear as it goes up

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine was too but it was blue. Didn't go with the black bike. But the price was right so i didn't mind painting it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should've tried to trade or sell it XD I'll be selling my black on now myself

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bought the windshield like that. Couldn't pass up the price, lol. Biggest thing with painting is prep work and patience. Needless to say this is why I'm not a painter, lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts