Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I will be honest and say that i am not totally happy with the outcome. Hopefully I can give advice so that others will learn. I think my issue was with my Primer choice. I chose a Rustoleum white primer that is good to use on plastic. I like the way it sprays and adheres, but think it was too absorbent of the color coat. My solution, if I used the same primer, would be to have a flat white paint on top before my color. (Though I could of just chosen a different primer.)

While I'm not 100% happy with the outcome I think it looks decent. (I like it much better than the black, since my bike is a red metallic.)

Here are some pics. I would be happy to answer any questions so people can learn from my mistakes. Haha.

First 600 grit wet sand:

Products I used. Had the local custom aerosol shop mix it. They used a camera device. It's not exact match, but pretty good:

Taped up the back, but wanted inside of wings painted too:

This was after one coat? I noticed color was absorbing/disappearing when I left it.

I needed a second can of color. Ran out to the store, and came back to see color faded a bit:

Four or five coats of color later I was satisfied:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...but I think I should of let it sit and done one more coat of color. Finished product has a spotted cloud appearance when you look closely.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I painted it just yesterday. It is dry to the touch and may dare to ride with it this weekend. Will wait at least a couple weeks to cut and polish.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and I did wet sand primer after letting it dry overnight. Used 800 grit to smooth out the rough surface.

Gave it a good water rinse and clean cloth wipe before applying color.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
That turned out real nice. Once you get it cut and polished I'm sure it'll bring out the same mirror finish that's on your bike. Nice job!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think it looks great. I'm doing mine - different year, but same bike, and per the place i'm getting my paint from, it's the same color code. Where I got the paint from, they do say you need a base coat underneath the color coat. I'm hoping to get mine done later in the week - if not, it will be next week before I get to it.

I really like the way you did the inside. I've got mine prepped to completely mask off the inside - but it's not too later to steel your idea - i just might do that.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for positive feedback guys. Like I mentioned, it's not bad, just could be better. Could have better color match and better color saturation on my part.

Picking up 12" shield on Friday.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks YammyV. I am glad that I have this forum to learn more. Member MattF will be painting his. Seems like he has done some research and color testing. (I trusted my shop to mix a color match and winged it with products I am familiar with.)

Anxious to see how MattF fairs with his fairing. So good to learn and compare!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think that looks fantastic! Great job. I am thinking about adding a wing to mine. In white though. Still tossing that idea around in my head.... Looking at yours and how good it looks, thinking about it more. Again, great job!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that looks fantastic! Great job. I am thinking about adding a wing to mine. In white though. Still tossing that idea around in my head.... Looking at yours and how good it looks, thinking about it more. Again, great job!!!
Thank you. Here is another pic since I've added the 12" shield.

·
Registered
71 Posts
YamaMassGirl, I think that looks great. Seriously. So what if it is not "perfect" (I think it is BTW from the pictures) the best part is you did it yourself and it looks fantastic. That is cool. Again, great job!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YamaMassGirl, I think that looks great. Seriously. So what if it is not "perfect" (I think it is BTW from the pictures) the best part is you did it yourself and it looks fantastic. That is cool. Again, great job!
Thanks. Guess it looks decent. - I just decided to cut and polish today. Need to get better materials or finer sandpaper. Went down to a 1200 grit and it has a matte finish! Yikes! - Really had to cut down some of the orange peel texture though. Hoping I can get it buffed out now so it has that nice glassy finish, as before.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I of course used rubbing compond, then polishing compound. Probably just need to buff some more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts