Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wow, didnt know this was possible.

Leather removed and painted bags... I think they turned out OK.
Hey give more info. this is BIG news. i didnt think the stock bags could be painted. i didnt think they would be smooth enough to paint. my dog jumped up onto my leather covered bag and scratched the leather a bit. this would be a great alternative to buying painted hard bags. this will give many a bike rider an alternative when there leather starts to look like crap. did you have to do anything to the edges of the bags? and sanding or what?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Painted bags

Looks like you painted the leather, can't tell? I saw a set at a show that it looked like someone took the leather off and painted the plastic under it. Not sure never got to talk to the owner. Maybe some filler would be needed?

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice job.
There's a guy here in the Syracuse area that does great leather repair & custom work. Is there anywhere on here to post some pics of his work? not sure of the rules & regulations :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the bags already missing the leather, so I was kinda stuck painting them! Did not paint over the leather.
OK, so what I did was wipe the bare plastic with paint thinner, hand sand everywhere (except chrome) with 600 grit sandpaper. Wiped them again with the thinner, and sprayed them with one can of adhesion promoter over both bags.
I followed this with one can of sandable primer over both bags.
Let it dry overnight, then sanded the primer smooth with the 600 grit.
After that, I laid about 4 coats of color over both bags. I used 2 cans of duplicolor "perfect match" if I remember correctly, which is a really close match to the stock paint with just a little metallic to it. I'll have to get the paint code from the can, but they had 2 metallics, one cap looked basically black, the other looked way to silver. I used the black one.
Followed the color with 4 coats of clear, same thing, 2 cans over both bags. Last coat needs to go on pretty thick without running it so It has a nice gloss to it instead of that "overspray" look. After they dried, I mounted them up. I need to get some nylon washers for the hinges since the leather isn't there to take up the space. They wiggle around a bit right now.

Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They pretty much filled with primer. I should have spent more time priming and sanding to get a better end result, but it turned out good enough for me. You can still see the stiching holes though...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yea dug into it this afternoon just did one lid,sanded ,fill holes,sanded again,primed,filled holes again,primed again ,I will let the painter do the real fine stuff but they look good

·
Registered
672 Posts
Looks great from the pics. I like that idea. If I wasn't getting my one beat up bag replaced I'd consider that. I didn't think of it before. :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yea dug into it this afternoon just did one lid,sanded ,fill holes,sanded again,primed,filled holes again,primed again ,I will let the painter do the real fine stuff but they look good
That's what I don't want to go through.Sounds too much like work lol.You did a great job they look awesome. Want to mine lol.:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not paint inside the bags, but everywhere else. It really wasn't too hard, but they don't look quite factory, but can't expect that w/ spray paint. In my opinion, they look really good. I also recently painted the brackets since I bought the bags used. In these pics, the brackets have some rust spots.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did not paint inside the bags, but everywhere else. It really wasn't too hard, but they don't look quite factory, but can't expect that w/ spray paint. In my opinion, they look really good. I also recently painted the brackets since I bought the bags used. In these pics, the brackets have some rust spots.
Thanks, I'm sorry what I meant to ask was did you paint everywhere on the outside including the bottom and back sides of the bags where they sit on the brackets?
Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeah, otherwise it would bug me every time I took them off! I just waxed my bike with nu finish and even the spray painted bags look great. The extra shine helps them blend in with the stock paint a lil better.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Super shiny

Oh yeah, otherwise it would bug me every time I took them off! I just waxed my bike with nu finish and even the spray painted bags look great. The extra shine helps them blend in with the stock paint a lil better.
I'm not a body guy but i have a friend that does show cars. after all the painting they go back and sand the paint with 1200 grit or finer and then buff the paint to a prefect shine. it gets rid of the over spray look and you can correct runs if you get them. sounds like it is very time consuming to correct a run in the paint so i believe you are supposed to do multiple coats and sand rather than heavy coats to make it look shiny. i'm all about wreaking paint and do body work junkyard style. i would try this but i would end up with runs and finger prints and probably a few mosquitoes thrown in for proper texture. i sure do like the way it looks though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They didn't end up with an overspray look, but that probably has a lot to do with how many coats of clearcoat I sprayed on top. I think for it to warrant me color sanding and polishing like that, I would have needed to spend many more hours of prep work. The bags have little molding lines and stuff you can see in direct light... I should take some better pictures to show them better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts