Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has painted the chrome piece on the top of the tank that is around the speedometer? If so any tips, as far as prep & what paint was used?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have considered using black Plasti-dip on mine. I used it on the straps of my windshield last season, and used something similar from Rustoleum, called Flexi-dip, on the wheels of my Wrangler. I like the idea of being able to remove it if I change my mind. The stuff also protects and inhibits rust. Just a thought. - But if you want a cheap spray can that's permanent, I recommend the Rustoleum spray cans. Coverage is wider and smoother than Krylon, IMO.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
1. lightly buff the part with 500 wet/dry paper
2. wipe part with acetone.
3. put two or three coats of self-etching primer
4. lightly buff primer with 500 or finer, wipe with tack cloth
5. paint
6. clear coat.
All this comes in a rattle-can, you can use the spurge's with wet/dry on them and this will give you a good paint diy job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plasti dip

I like the idea of plasti dip, I'll pick up a can or two & hit the speedo part & the coil cover while I'm at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dumb question, on the 2012 does the chrome trim come off the tank just by removing the one screw on the top & sliding it forward. Or are there other screws hiding?

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Is that chrome plated piece metal or plastic?

only reason I ask, if its plastic I would not wipe it with acetone.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Dumb question, on the 2012 does the chrome trim come off the tank just by removing the one screw on the top & sliding it forward. Or are there other screws hiding?
there are two screws in front of the speedo, and one behind it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts