Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed 12" ape hangers a couple days ago on my 1100 and have noticed that although my back and shoulders do feel much more comfortable, my throttle hand/palm is hurting more. Now I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that I'm also wearing thicker gloves (colder weather) or because I installed "coke bottle" grips, or simply because of the positioning of the apes. I was thinking about purchasing a throttle rocker/palm rest, anybody have any experience with these? or has anyone else noticed an increase in hand fatigue after installing their 12" apes?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I have the Kuryakin throttle boss on my 1100 and just love it. Mind you, I don't have ape's so what I have to offer is for standard bars. Since i installed this boss, my throttle hand rarely gets numb or tired even on long rides. When it does happen, it's mainly due to my gloves which are a bit on the tight side after they dry from a ride in the rain. Besides that, no issue and if I were you, i would look into getting one. Make sure it's wide though. The narrow ones will tire your hand on a long ride. My 1.89 cents worth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the replies fellas!

That's actually the first option I looked into but seeing as I don't have the kuryakin grips, the throttle boss will not fit on my "coke bottle" style grips. I went ahead and ordered a throttle rocker, hopefully that provides some of the comfort the throttle boss offers!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would look into the Crampbuster. It has a larger surface area and you can move it around on your grip wherever its most comfortable. Plus it will fit any grips!
There was one on my bike when I bought it. Personally I feel its a waste but I may be using it more than
l realize. Have never pulled it off and ridden without it. No cramps or hand pain here.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would look into the Crampbuster. It has a larger surface area and you can move it around on your grip wherever its most comfortable. Plus it will fit any grips!
I use the Crampbuster too. I never suffer from throttle fatigue since installing it. At first I thought it was a bit cheezy when looking at it on the rack in the shop, but for well under 10 bucks I thought 'what the heck' and went for it. It's been part of my bike for about 4 years and is a lot of value for the buck as far as riding comfort is concerned. My grandson has the Kuryakyn version which looks nicer and costs much more, but it's not adjustable on the road while the Crampbuster is. Then my brother bought something similar in the Harley shop that attaches to the grip with a velcro strap. He hated it and it now resides in the bottom of his saddle bag with other useless stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like the bars. Really cool bike.
Thanks, now if I could only find a front white wall tire!! Lol

And I already ordered the "Throttle Rocker". We'll see how it feels, if I don't like it, I'll order a "crampbuster". In reality I'm just wondering why the positioning of the apes has made my wrist hurt, but I sure hope one of these options will alleviate it! Thanks again

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use the throttle boss as well. It has a big surface area and as someone mentioned you don't have to use your fingers to twist the throttle anymore, you just use your wrist. It helps so much with long rides especially in the summer when my hands got so sweaty and I couldn't properly grip the throttle.

By the way I do like how those apes turned out. Just a guess but if the position of the apes isn't comfortable right now then move them towards you a bit. I did mine so I basically sit straight up without me having to lean forward even the slightest to grab the bars.

I can't see from the pics but did you run the wiring on the inside of the bars or did you just zip tie them to the outside?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the throttle boss as well. It has a big surface area and as someone mentioned you don't have to use your fingers to twist the throttle anymore, you just use your wrist. It helps so much with long rides especially in the summer when my hands got so sweaty and I couldn't properly grip the throttle.

By the way I do like how those apes turned out. Just a guess but if the position of the apes isn't comfortable right now then move them towards you a bit. I did mine so I basically sit straight up without me having to lean forward even the slightest to grab the bars.

I can't see from the pics but did you run the wiring on the inside of the bars or did you just zip tie them to the outside?

Thanks. They're actually just hanging on the outside.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts