Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you want to ride?

When there are 2 or more left hand turn lanes. Could be parallel right hand turns too, but those are less common.

I like to be in the inside lane of the turn, because so many drivers forget about it being a multi-lane turn and they will swing wide into the outer lane. But sometimes I think that outside lane leaves a lot more space for an evasive maneuver if necessary, so maybe I should be out there.

I guess it goes without saying, don't take the turn with a car right next to you, whichever lane you're in.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
it depends on where you need to be after you take the corner, in the left lane or the right lane

sometimes the right lane is forced off / must turn right at the next intersection...

the thing I dont like is when they paint the dotted lines thru the turn, and they are painted as the radius of a perfect circle

vehicles do not take a corner by going straight, then hard turning into a constant radius arc, then going straight again

you have to ease into the curve and ease out - you cant follow the dotted lines, and they only confuse anyone who tries to.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I prefer to be on the inside, less likely to get hit, or atleast give you more time due to them hitting the car next to you first.

Yes, you could take it wide and swing wider, but I have never had an issue in those turns taking it a lot tighter and if need be driving into the oncoming stopped cars, or just pulling a full u turn.

Atleast here in florida your most likely to get hit from someone running a used to be yellow light on purpose.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,632 Posts
Definitely the inside. I've got an intersection just like that I go thru every morning on the way to work. Too many times was I almost run over being on the outside lane. I will still pace the vehicle beside me so I'm not right beside it.

Reactions: JonMaz2112

·
Registered
52 Posts
Inside lane for me. At least there the car driver next to me can see me. Whereas in the outside lane you are in their blind spot (even if you are in front of them, it seems)

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like most of us agree on the inside lane when possible.

I have to admit I have done it myself in a car. You stop at the light on the inside turn lane, and over the course of a couple of minutes you forget that the outside lane is turning too, and you take the corner wide. Embarassing when it happens.

Then there are the dickheads who don't care and think they can race around the corner and get ahead of everyone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The inside lane for me . Once I was turning in the outside lane and I saw the car in the inside jerk a little, I looked over and the woman had a manila folder open ON the steering wheel and her head cocked to the side to hold her cell phone to her ear. HOLY SH#T! How can anyone drive like that? Obviously not very well. I swung wide to give her room, well, give me room and everything was OK. Now I pay more attention to what others are doing while I'm stopped at the light to avoid problems half way thru the intersection. If they are on a cell phone they get a lot more room and they don't even realize it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts