Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2006 VS650 that I finish converting to a bobber last month. I've been riding it for the past few weeks. Last week I rode to work, ran a few errands, and came home. A couple of hours later I go to move the bike into the garage for the evening and the bike will turn over but not start. I had no signs of any problems before. I've gone through the gears and popped the stand to see if there was a neutral safety or stand issue. I've charged the battery and I pulled a plug and grounded it against the head and saw no spark. Now I'm in the process of checking the coils. I've read every labor intensive and expensive horror story but was hoping that it would be something simple like a bad ground or crimped wire. My fear is that it could be the pick-up. Any advice or where to look before I start taking off covers. I hear the pick-up stator replacement is a bear because of the bolts etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but I thought if it was the kill switch it wouldn't even turn over. It spins but won't fire. I hear the fuel pump and can smell fuel.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Gotta be somethin simple. I'd start by looking at all the fuses and go from there. Check all electrical connections. Maybe a wire came loose somewhere. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some better suggestions. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I would think it would be something simple. I already checked all the fuses. I did put new signals and lights on the bike. So, that's my next step.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet. Going to really get into it tomorrow if I can. My guess is the either the pick up or I have a bad ground with the new lights I wired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd be very interested in what you find, I ordered a new pickup coil/stator for mine today and will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the coil pick up. Does anyone know of a good place to get one. Should I replace the stator while I'm there? I've found a place where I can them separate.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
use an oem replacement pickup , it's just to much labor to take a chance with a cheesy after market pick up. also from 98-2004 the pickup has a separate harness after 2004 the pickup and stator are sold as a unit. you can use the older separate one on newer bikes but its a pain getting wires through those grommets then sealing em with silicone. and the key to the pickup screws is using heat. just enough to release the loctite. i used a piece of sheet aluminum to shield the stator coils from the heat. a butane torch set as low as possible worked for me. less than 20 seconds of heat they screwed right out. mine went at 30,000 miles. do an ohms test to confirm. mine went to infinite resistance telling me it went into an open.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It did resolve the problem, but created another problem. It's easy to check the pickup and stator with a multi-tester before you pull the whole thing apart. I got my mechanic to take out the screws with vice grips. The torch did not work for me. Beware, you can break the screws off using vice grips and will have to tap them out. I guess I got lucky.

As for the wires, I used black Permatex around the wires and grommet and copper seal around the gasket and housing. I replaced the stator while I had it open, too. Both came from Ricks. Anyway, I put the bike back together and the bike started right up. But, now I have popcorning/aferfire coming from the number 2. I've checked the plug and have some carbonization. Number 2 is weaker and gets warm not hot. The number one is firing fine. I've swapped plugs and looked for vacuum leaks, even replacing the intake boots. I've taken the carb off and cleaned it twice. each time there were no clogs. It will clear up for a minute and come back after I clean the carb, especially after you start to ride it. Don't know if its a fuel issue or when the bike warms up. It gets so bad that it's unrideable. I can't get a mile before I have to come back. I've used Seafoam and the carbs are and have been balanced and rebalanced. I'm about to switch the coils and see if that is an issue, then go back pull the wires and make sure that my wires have good connections. No one has been able to help me with this. Ricks says if it was the stator it would be a problem with both cylinders.

For added info, when you pull the vacuum line from the manifold boot (I have a hypercharger) the popping stops(power drops). Plug the port or connect it and the popping comes back. After this, I can only figure that the valves need to be re-lashed or something. I'm out of ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts