Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all!

I'm curious as to what everyone's habit is when parking. I personally park in gear but I've been told it may be damaging to the tranny. What do you all think?

---
2009 VStar 950 owner and proud of it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Depends on where I park. If there's a grade at all, I definitely leave it in gear. I 've never heard of anyone who expereinced a problem with the transmission as a result of leaving it in gear. I lived up in Bath, Maine a while back, and my house was in the center of a pretty steap hill. I had no choice but to leave it in gear, or I may not have had a bike when I went looking for it...Never an issue.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've never heard anything about tranny damage either. Just make sure your engine is stopped completely before you throw out the clutch and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Unless you want someone to wheel your ride off into the sunset I'd make sure it's in gear .

Never heard anything about tranny damage from leaving your bike in gear while its parked??

·
Registered
821 Posts
I like to park mine in neutral. That way when I want to start it
all I gotta do is turn the key and push the button.
And if I'm gonna be away from it, I lock the forks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Say what:confused: You will have to explain that one:eek:
Sure thing..............

When you park and put your gear lever into neutral your bikes' tranny is not "in gear"........This means the drive "train-belt-chain" is not engaged to the rear wheel.....

This means your bike can freely roll forwards and backwards without engaging the "clutch lever" .

Fork locks are very easy to disable and with a free rolling bike.....

This means any determined thief or group can roll your bike right up onto a waiting van/truck and dissapear with your bike literally within seconds.

People go up to bikes all the time going OOO AAHH !! We never think they're looking to rip it off.........

I know, I'm paranoid I always park "in gear" use the fork lock - use a disc lock and have a motion-balance sensitive alarm system

·
Registered
119 Posts
How does parking in gear prevent them from taking it out of gear with a single flick of the shifter or just simply pulling in the clutch lever? I'm working on the silly assumption that anyone looking to ride away on your bike has some idea how the controls work. Professionals don't do that anyway, they lift and load the bike into a vehicle and go.

That said, I always park in gear too. I've yet to hear of transmission damage being done that way.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Actually it is a theft deterrent. Anything that slows them down has them looking for an easier target.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I put a lock in the front brake rotor. You can't trust a fork lock. Also I put it in gear, can't hurt nothing. In the old days I kept a piece of chain around my waist, for protection and to chain bike to nearest telephone pole. While riding from chas SC to Springfield IL, the other two gave me a hard time about chaining my BMW to poles. While in IL someone went into their saddlebags, mine were locked. After that they had me chain their bikes to mine. At least I didn't need a pole coming home. I got the last laugh.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I guess I'm a "neutral" guy! I am sure that if I were ever to park on a steep grade I would put it in gear.

As for theft prevention? I have a 6' cable with a lock that can't be cut with a bolt cutter. I can run it through a wheel and around the frame as well as a stationary nearby object. Whenever I travel with a buddy or 2, we cable our bikes together, as we each carry one. There is no sure-fire method to keep your bike from getting boosted, but if you can make yours a harder target than the one parked next to it, then you should still have a ride when it's time to roll!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Two problems with my V Star. Got mine used, and don't know if this is typical or if I have a clutch problem, or maybe just an adjustment issue (but I've fiddled with it!).

1) can't (easily) shift into neutral with a cold engine
2) can't start the engine in gear with clutch lever pulled (bike lurches)

So I always leave mine in neutral unless I park on a hill and am forced to leave it in gear for safety.

·
Administrator
13,698 Posts
2) can't start the engine in gear with clutch lever pulled (bike lurches)
why are you starting your bike in gear instead of neutral?

i live in Austin, TX. we don't steal bikes here and i stay away from seedy places so i don't carry around alarm systems or cables or chains.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Morning all!

I'm curious as to what everyone's habit is when parking. I personally park in gear but I've been told it may be damaging to the tranny. What do you all think?

---
2009 VStar 950 owner and proud of it
Always in gear. Without exception.

I'd enjoy someone trying to explain why a bike, truned off, parked in gear could ever hurt the tranny. At all.

On the flip side, if it's in neutral and you wanna lean on it, lay on it or work on it, it don't take much for it to start moving. Probably not a good thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A hole five seconds maybe- is not theft deterrent
If that - considering most riders squeeze the clutch to start the bike anyway. It's one of the first things we teach in MSF.
Some bikes won't even start without the lever being pulled in, my Daytona 675 for instance will not start regardless of whether the bike is in gear or not.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
It is a ground slope decision for me too. If any kind of slope, I shut it off in 1st gear, or put into first after I shut it off before I put it on the kick stand for the day. At home parked safely inside my shed, it is usually in netural.

HOWEVER - WHERE YOU DON'T WANT IT IN GEAR - is during trailering or in the back of a pick-up. For that, I make sure it is in netural so it doesn't rock back and forth and cause gear teeth from hammering away at each other as it rolls forward and backward during the ride. It is always strapped down securely but over time, the straps do stretch ever so slightly and start allowing some movement to happen.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts