Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought this style back rest off ebay? Its from a seller with 99% positive feedback and it seemed like a legit piece. Problem is, that it won't clear both sides of the fender without scratching or even denting it. Idk....did I buy junk or get the wrong piece?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
652 Posts
Go to auto parts store ,you can get them there ! I found a real hardware store(one that has stuff) they stock everything chrome! Try a bolt co. In your state GET CHROME!! Don't make them!! Just my opinion. Oh yeah and the hardware store was dirt cheap on them half the price that they are in the JP cycle catalog good luck I reversed my mounts been riding with back rest ! It's great! View attachment 29577

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go to auto parts store ,you can get them there ! I found a real hardware store(one that has stuff) they stock everything chrome! Try a bolt co. In your state GET CHROME!! Don't make them!! Just my opinion. Oh yeah and the hardware store was dirt cheap on them half the price that they are in the JP cycle catalog good luck I reversed my mounts been riding with back rest ! It's great! View attachment 29577

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to make up like an inch gap on both sides. Just gonna make em outta solid aluminum and get longer bolts. Id send em back but theyd cost too much to ship.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like were talking about different things. This is where they won't bolt after the brackets are mounted to fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
We are the spacers on talking about go down where you bolt it to your bike mine had 3/4 in front and 1/2 in front and I think I lucked out by having a hardware store that carries a chrome section good luck to you I'll try to take some pictures for you later of how mine is bolted on

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I put spacers there then the brackets will be even farther apart. These bars are pretty narrow. I'm sure they sent the wrong ones....

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think your right! You should be having so much trouble in a reputable company would send you the proper stuff to hook it up Try a cobra brand might be better I did get mine from eBay but that was in 06

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea but it only cost $80 shipped. On my budget it makes more sense to just fab some spacers to connect it all up and roll with it. Hell, I don't call it my FrankenSTAR for nothing. Lol, 80% of my add ons are homemade or modded. Thanks guys. I'll post a pic of what I come up with.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
810 Posts
I feel like were talking about different things. This is where they won't bolt after the brackets are mounted to fender.

My back rest had the same problem. I put some thick cloth in the jaws of my bench vice so I wouldn't scratch the chrome, clamped down on the part and re-bent the uprights to a more compatible angle. Took a couple tries to get the proper angle, but it worked like a charm. I just wish I'd thought if that before I scratched my fender.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I scratched the hell outta my fender but its not the first time. I made some temporary spacers and installed an hour ago. Later I'll take time to make em pretty....lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts