Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
My wife takes several day trips (200 - 400 miles) a year with me. She has always complained about back rest and foot pegs. She said the back rest hit her in a bad spot on her back and was not comfortable. We have looked at others but were too high on her back or just not right. We even rode around a while ago to several dealers and she sat on every bike with a back rest and none were right, yes she is picky 馃. She kept saying she just wanted our back rest up a few inches. I thought about making some brackets but never came up with an idea that would look right. So I'm in the garage with the pad off and have her sit on bike to get the height right. I'm moving it up and down to find the right spot for her. Then she says, "right there, perfect". I'm trying to grab something to mark the spot and look where the top holes are for the pad to bolt to bracket and they line up! I put the two bolts in and push back and forth, it real solid with just the two bolts in it. She leans back and said perfect. Then she threw something about being so simple and why didn't I do it sooner. Yes I keep me cool and kept my mouth closed.馃槑 See pictures below. I won't leave it like this all the time as it looks kinda cheesy, it's a 2 minute fix when we go together. Now to the foot pegs. I was always complaining about putting her shoes on the exhaust and leaving marks. She recommended moving the pegs out about an inch. I found some longer bolts, put three nuts on for spacers, leaving enough thread to bolt back in original hole. At first I was concerned about bolt strength but after putting all my weight on peg and jumping up and down I comfortable it's good. I put some wire loom covering on the nuts so you don't see them. And I put some paint on the bolt head so it blends in. Please give me feed back as how it looks. I hate things to look like they don't belong or it's rigged.

Front view of back rest moved up.

Back of raised back rest raised.

Foot pegs showing nuts used as spacers.

Finished foot peg mod.

Registered
Dude, I feel for you having gone through the same issue with my previous wives and girlfriends. If you've found a combination that your wife is happy with then IMHO go with it no matter what the aesthetics are. Strap a Barcolounger to the back if it makes the wife happy.

Granted, you may want to take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm a divorcee many times over but my favorite girlfriends are the ones who ride their own bikes... they get to set up their bikes the way they want and I get to keep mine the way I want and everyone is happy.

Premium Member
I think it looks good as far as the foot pegs go. For the backrest I would be very tempted to put some sort of bag on it to make use of the top 2 holes so it does not look like it was moved up.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
NGM, I like the idea of a small bag, like a small tool bag. I just looked at few. There are some small ones out there that are made to fit there. Thanks for the feed back.

Registered
Nice. My wife has no complaints about the backrest position but like you I've noticed the appearance of melted rubber on the exhaust. I may try that footpeg mod. Thanks for the tip!

Registered
Knowing how challenging it is to be comfortable when riding a cruiser bike, I have empathy for anyone that rides in the passenger "seat" for more than 20 minutes.

I look at Gold Wings on craigslist once in a while, I would not mind having a naked 'Wing just for cruising the interstate, maybe with a fairing

but everyone built after 1985 has a passenger seat that looks like Captain Kirks bridge chair from the Enterprise. If I get one the entire passenger seat and suitcases are all coming off, but GWs ended up with those monsters strapped to the rear fender for a reason - if you are riding two up all day long, day after day, that is what you end up with.

Registered
... but everyone built after 1985 has a passenger seat that looks like Captain Kirks bridge chair from the Enterprise...
My brother owns an 80s era Aspencade that he keeps around as a joke. It has every chrome accessory you could think of, lights up like a Xmas tree, was upgraded sometime in it's life with a serious sound system and CD player, passenger electric adjustable seat with armrests, adjustable floorboards...the thing is a monster of a bike and both rider and passenger almost completely protected from the weather except from above. It's no longer a motorcycle, it's a two-wheeled convertible.

Registered
Dude, I feel for you having gone through the same issue with my previous wives and girlfriends. If you've found a combination that your wife is happy with then IMHO go with it no matter what the aesthetics are. Strap a Barcolounger to the back if it makes the wife happy.

Granted, you may want to take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm a divorcee many times over but my favorite girlfriends are the ones who ride their own bikes... they get to set up their bikes the way they want and I get to keep mine the way I want and everyone is happy.
Happy wife, happy life. Say no more. Shut up and deal with the aesthetics...

Registered
My brother owns an 80s era Aspencade that he keeps around as a joke. It has every chrome accessory you could think of, lights up like a Xmas tree, was upgraded sometime in it's life with a serious sound system and CD player, passenger electric adjustable seat with armrests, adjustable floorboards...the thing is a monster of a bike and both rider and passenger almost completely protected from the weather except from above. It's no longer a motorcycle, it's a two-wheeled convertible.
My brother and I do something we call "unmotorcycle" racing. We take parts-bikes, pull the engine and electrics to sell, but leave the frame wheels and brakes. Then we downhill-race them on "gravity"... Points are awarded for speed, but also for style. (Extra special bonus points for most-impressive wipeout). My favorite "downhill unmotorcycle" racer is an old Rebel 250 stripped bare, with a huge 'captain kirk' style Goldwing seat plunked down on it. Seat is about as big (and I think nearly as heavy) as the rest of the bike.

Point is I dig your brothers groove. Sometimes "excess" is it's own thing.

Premium Member
I love my GW so does the wife. I know it is a big bike, but once you get rolling it handles as good or better than my 950 did. I went on a ride with some people Thurs night. The leader had a 110 c.i. HD screaming eagle stage 3 bla bla bla. He could not leave the wing no matter how hard he tried. Then this weekend i put an Ultimate seat on it. It made it more comfortable for both of us even though she lost 1.5" of room.

Super Moderator
How much does the GW weigh without riders? Always heard how well they鈥檙e balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
I gotcha, once you get rolling I鈥檓 sure you could never tell it鈥檚 weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts