Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my rather groovy '01 Vstar 650 for a month now, and have put about 900 miles on it since purchase. Tons of fun.

Twice now I have been accelerating after a stop, and shortly after getting into 5th gear, it dropped back into 4th. If I was driving a car with an automatic transmission, it would mean it had dropped into the so-called passing gear. I don't think I accidentally hit the shift lever with my toe, and it easily went back into 5th with a press of the heal shifter, and stayed there.

Is this an ominous warning sign, or is it just "one of those things"?

Thanks for any insights in advance.

Rod

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
How fast are you going when you shift into 5th? I had a car that would 'pop out of gear', but never heard of a manual tranny falling back into a lower gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The second time was yesterday. I was going about 30ish(?) on a road outside town. The first time was about 2 weeks ago, on an on-ramp to the freeway. I think I was closer to 40.

The first time it definitely went down a gear. I figured I hadn't fully gotten into 5th. Yesterday the revs went up, and I thought it was in neutral (surely not possible?). When I pushed down on the heel shifter, it clearly was in 5th. No recurrence on either occasion. Weird or what?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been riding my rather groovy '01 Vstar 650 for a month now, and have put about 900 miles on it since purchase. Tons of fun.

Twice now I have been accelerating after a stop, and shortly after getting into 5th gear, it dropped back into 4th. If I was driving a car with an automatic transmission, it would mean it had dropped into the so-called passing gear. I don't think I accidentally hit the shift lever with my toe, and it easily went back into 5th with a press of the heal shifter, and stayed there.

Is this an ominous warning sign, or is it just "one of those things"?

Thanks for any insights in advance.

Rod
Its most defiantly not one of those things...Manual transmissions should not shift on their own.

How lose is your shifter? it could be a couple things that add together which could cause the bike to shift on its own. If your fluid is low and the shifter is super loose a good bump could cause the shifter to change the gear on your own.

Ive never had that happen and im simply speculating, but I would check those couple things. While your into your tranny fluid check for metal shavings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, this all helps a lot. GreenMTNrider scared the socks off me, but clearly it's something to consider. I did wonder if I was shifting too early; the bike has no tachometer, so I'm just going by sound.

I'll stay out of 5th till about 40 for now.

Thanks a million for the responses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had to re-tune my ears as well. That engine likes to rev higher. I noticed I seem to get a little bit better mileage when I let the engine rev a little higher rather than lug down - don't know why but maybe it's just happier doing that. When I first got my 650 I would just shift up to 5th as my ear "told" me to and then ride in 5th. Now on my daily commutes, I rarely if ever go to 5th since the fastest street I am on is a 45mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts