Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do they call them passing lamps? are they not driving lights? When they are turned on do they stay on or are they momentary. Somebody clear the water,I'm confused -------- not stupid.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why do they call them passing lamps? are they not driving lights? When they are turned on do they stay on or are they momentary. Somebody clear the water,I'm confused -------- not stupid.
IIRC, they're on as long as the low beams are on, and the switch on the handlebar is on if they're wired in the "stock" way. I'm completely baffled as to why they call them passing lamps and not driving lights though.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
They're also called: "Driving Lights", "Fog Lights", "Running Lights", "Auxiliary Lights" etc. Terminology. No big deal.

The Stratoliner comes with an auxiliary light switch in the right handlebar switch cluster. On/Off. No waiting:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hammer,

I have a set of "passing lamps" on my bike, and the way it is wired, I have to physically turn them on and off with a switch located on the right handlebar directly under the power/kill switch. In the case of my bike, the hi beams do not make any difference as to whether the passing lamps are on/off. I can have both on or both off, etc.

To be honest, I don't know what they are "for", but I turn them on when I want to be just a little more visible, whether in daylight or at night. Basically, I turn them on in heavy traffic whether I'm "passing" or not.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I always thought they called them passing lights because you could turn them on when getting ready to pass another vehicle that is in the slow lane. An attention getting visual aid so to speak.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I always thought they called them passing lights because you could turn them on when getting ready to pass another vehicle that is in the slow lane.
If that were the case, they'd have called them "Overtaking Blue Bike Lights";)

:D:D:D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Okay, so they are more than just a visual aid, if red bikes need them to pass a blue bike, then these things must be really amazing....correction,,,,make that a miracle!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'll admit i enjoy the 'male' humor of passing GAS, i'm sorry if i'm too old to get into the kinky stuff like passing LAMPS

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any logic asto why there are 2 bulbs in each housing?
The lower bulb is 5 watts, the upper bulb is 30 watts. You can seperate the leads that are tied together in the driving lamp housing. Wire the lower bulb to your running lamp in each front turn signal. Then with the aux. switch in the off position on the right hand control you will always have the 5 watt bulbs on with the front signal running lamps. Giving you your low beam h/l, and your signal lamps and the 5 watt driving lamps on as running lamps. When you flip the aux. switch to the on position you then have the 30 watt driving lamps on. Good for visability and also great when riding at night.:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great tip. I just put the light bar on yesterday and I really like the looks and function but that , without a doubt, was the most frustrating royal pain in the ass project I have ever done on a motorcycle ever!!! The factory instructions are totally a P.O.S.
I know have to get some windshield lowers, way too much air coming around the tank and up in my face.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lowers

Hammer I installed the Bucks lowers which helped quite a bit. But I still had a wind problem. I then bought a Rifle replacement windshield which is wider than the original windshield. This seemed to help also. Very easy to mount both of these. Together the wind buffeting is very tolerable. If you get the new windshield do what I did and drop it on the concrete while you are mounting it. I actually made up new cuss words after I ran out of what I knew.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you think could have been done to make them better? What about covers for the hiway bars?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think covers for the highway bars might help. It is not an expensive option to try. The lowers will. I am a novice at this. I bought a 09 stratoliner 2 months ago. But I wear glasses and the wind was shaking the crap out of my glasses inside the helmet. I went with what I read on the forums. It's a lot better now. Once I get the handlebars back I'm set.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I too installed a Rifle windshield couple weeks ago. Being short, I went with a 18.5" high-27" wide which along with Buck's lowers has eliminated wind buffeting.
Very comfortable now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's a great tip. I just put the light bar on yesterday and I really like the looks and function but that , without a doubt, was the most frustrating royal pain in the ass project I have ever done on a motorcycle ever!!! The factory instructions are totally a P.O.S.
I know have to get some windshield lowers, way too much air coming around the tank and up in my face.
Yammie instructions are a P.O.S. And why they have the 5 watt and 30 watt bulbs wired together doesn't make sense to me. If they'd have left them seperate as appears to be the idea behind the lamp design we wouldn't have to go thru extra pains straightening out a very expensive add on.

Haven't purchased the Bucks Lowers yet, but everyone that has them swear by them! Best of luck!!:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The lower bulb is 5 watts, the upper bulb is 30 watts. You can seperate the leads that are tied together in the driving lamp housing. Wire the lower bulb to your running lamp in each front turn signal. Then with the aux. switch in the off position on the right hand control you will always have the 5 watt bulbs on with the front signal running lamps. Giving you your low beam h/l, and your signal lamps and the 5 watt driving lamps on as running lamps. When you flip the aux. switch to the on position you then have the 30 watt driving lamps on. Good for visability and also great when riding at night.:)
Man, now I'm really confused....when does the movie come out?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts