Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My password was reset by an administrator without any explanation. Can someone please explain why this happened?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mine was too and when I logged in using the new/temporary password that they provided in an email to me there was a pop up message saying it was due to the site being hacked essentially. I changed my password in the userCP and they are requiring stricter passwords now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
With all these systems (Bank Accounts, Medical Info, Email, etc) being broken into. It might be wise to change your others too. Do not fall into the false sense it would never happen to me. Too easy these days to have a keylogger or some other way for your passwords to be compromised. Do yourself a favor and change them periodically or when a system you use has been compromised.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
With all these systems (Bank Accounts, Medical Info, Email, etc) being broken into. It might be wise to change your others too. Do not fall into the false sense it would never happen to me. Too easy these days to have a keylogger or some other way for your passwords to be compromised. Do yourself a favor and change them periodically or when a system you use has been compromised.
if someone hacked my bank account they'd probably add money after seeing the available balance..lol. anyway anything financial i change the password offten

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I know its for security reasons but I just don't get it. This isn't a bank or anything like that. I have no sensitive data on this sight. I know the reasoning behind it is above my pay grade but honestly I hate having to change my password. Not only that but it has to be so complicated that there is no way I can remember it. And in a year we will have to do it again. There is a site I use at work that it's every 90 days. :mad: Personally I feel I am less secure cause I have to write them down somewhere as oppose to keep them in my head.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree. I worked at one place and the requirements was every 90 days and 15 or greater characters including all the strange ones and numbers. I just incremented the last one or two characters up one or two and was easier that way. As far as a forum goes and the need for change, statistically most users use the same password or a variant for most everything. Of course now we also assume that places like Banks, Hospitals, and Other Institutions are secure also. Just look at how many hospitals have fallen victim to ransomware because they are stupid. So we pay the price and fingers point to the users. As the old adage goes, it all rolls downhill. But at least practice it on your end if you can.

Bill

P.S. I wanted to add a little link about Passwords from LifeHacker,Com, a site I use a lot with good info on everything Digital. This one is on Passwords and if it helps then great. My apologies to the Sysops if the link is not allowed. Please remove if not allowed.
http://lifehacker.com/5876541/use-this-infographic-to-pick-a-good-strong-password

·
Registered
424 Posts
I got the e-mail telling me my password was changed, also. I haven't yet tried it, because the site is set to keep me logged in. I do think someone went into overkill mode, since a site such as this isn't likely to have much truly sensitive information. To put it bluntly, when this sort of site starts to be more trouble than it is worth, I just walk away. And with the almost complete lack of comments about my particular bike, it is already close.

Edited to add: When I tried to post this, the site required me to prove I wasn't a spambot and then forced the password change on me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i hate it too. i basically reset it every time i log in anymore since symbols r never in passwords i use :(

·
Administrator
373 Posts
Hey there,

We have posted to the sites letting users know how to go about changing their passwords. There are a few things that may have happened:
1) the email address wasn’t the current one you use
2) the email is getting blocked by spam or ending up in your junk folder.

If you have not received the password reset email, go to the site and use the password reset tool in the log in window. If this still is not working for you, please go to the contact us page at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and select the “other” field and insert the subject “password reset issue” .

sorry for the trouble. we are sorting out all the issues as they come in. thanks all!

~Shane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts