Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 V Star 1100, replaced the nice chrome petcock with a galvanized looking one due to wanting to ride and that was cheaper and easier to find than the OEM style rebuild kit. Fast forward a year and the barbed fitting is loose, so looking at rebuilding the OEM style one to get back a little bit of styling.

Problem comes in with the screen/filter. Does anyone know of a replacement part number or have a good DIY trick to replace them?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,888 Posts
I had the same issues a few years ago and could not find replacement screens, only gaskets. I bought this one about 3 years ago, no issues or concerns. It's not as nice as OEM but works and price was right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the same thing Les, probably the same one actually haha. The barbed pc where you attach the hose seems like it is a press fit, with a bit of slack in it. Figured if I was going to take it off to repair/replace, I could look in to putting the OEM back together was all.
Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
If you have an inline fuel filter before the carbs or fuel pump, I would not worry about whats on the petcock

In fact it might be better to let anything in the tank get through the petcock so it gets trapped in the inline filter, which is normally replaced every 10,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a good point KCW. I have looked at a few articles on different bikes and it seemed like most of their issues with the screen was that their tanks were in poor shape and full of rust, which would then clog up the screen.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,888 Posts
Google says:

The answer lies in the old country.
The "pet" is an abreviation of petrol (the correct name for the stuff you call gasolene, and the"cock" has nothing to do with male genitalia but is another abreviation. This time for "stopcock", which is the term still use in the old country for a shut off valve in the form of a tap..

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
pet could also be short for petty (small). Petcocks are normally used to bleed out water or air, or to take a sample of something, like drawing out a few ounces of oil from a 1000 HP engine to run an oil quality test. Its not the same as the drain plug, which would be much bigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts