Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Phatriser I Questions - Is the brake line too short? SOLVED WITH PICTURES

I just ordered a set of phatrisers from scootworks.com for the V-star 950. It says that they will provide an additional 1.5" raise with a 2" pullback all while being able to keep the stock wiring in place.

I've scoured the forum looking for issues with the brake line on the 950, but I can't find anything specific for this model. Does anyone have any experience with risers that have a 1.5" raise on the stock with a 2" pullback?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They work...sorta

I received the phatrisers in the mail today, and installed them this evening. The hardest part on the Yamaha 950 was removing the wire guide so I would have more slack in the lines. I was unable to remove the headlight bezel without twisting the metal housing that was attached so I decided not to mess with it when the bolt didn't move a millimeter.

Unfortunately I had to cut the guide apart with a pair of bolt cutters and twist it enough to fit through one side. If I had the ability to remove the triple tree the job would have been much easier.

The scootworks.com website says that no wire adjusting is necessary, but this is simply not true. I will have to move the brake line, throttle cable, and clutch line to the front of the triple tree to keep it from stretching past the point of safety (in my opinion).

I did have to call scootworks, and I left a message, which was later returned by a courteous person who answered all of my questions. The parts in question are definitely heavy duty and pretty well made.

After a painful installation process and the knowledge that I will have to eventually move the cables forward, I took the 950 for a test ride. I'm 5'8 and having the extra space to bend my arms makes a huge difference. Now that I'm sitting back in my Mustang seat I have more room for my legs as well, which is very nice. Risers are the way to go, let me know if anyone has any questions.

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
i have 3" risers on my 950 and i didn't have to adjust any of my cables; i even lowered my handlebar grip angle and still have plenty of slack in the lines. it seems odd that you would have to do such modifications for your risers. can you show some pics?

p.s. the bezel is attached to the headlight assembly. if you need to take it off, you have to take out the screws on each side of the bucket.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright

I'll post some pictures before I finish moving the cables. The bolts that attach the headlight bucket were so locked up I was bending the mounts in the process of trying to break them loose so I decided just to remove the triple tree. It would seem that, that would be easier to locate the cables.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll post some pictures before I finish moving the cables. The bolts that attach the headlight bucket were so locked up I was bending the mounts in the process of trying to break them loose so I decided just to remove the triple tree. It would seem that, that would be easier to locate the cables.
deffently intrested in the pix i have a 2001 1100 and am looking at risers to pull the handle bars back my self

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end it all worked out

So with the help of my dad we were able to pull the triple tree up and move all the cables in front which alleviated the pressure on the clutch and throttle cables. The front brake line seems to be as tight as I would want it, and it has enough play from side to side to keep me happy. I'm adding a bunch of mods to the bike tomorrow, but I'll take a few photos with the batwing off to show you what I had to do. Definitely a much more comfortable ride now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used the Baron's 4" risers and had to reroute the front brake lines. Throttle and clutch were fine, just the brakes.

It would have worked, but it was tight enough for me to visualize the line rubbing and opening a hole. My luck would have it happening while braking for a red light or someone pulling out in front of me.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Bumping this thread again...I've been looking at my cables and trying to decide about risers. It looks like the only problem might come from that brake line, and I don't want to move it, but I'm encouraged by your post, @bevo1981. I'm looking at the 2" Rox Speed FX Pivoting Risers and I think I'll give it a shot. My only dilemma now is...If bevo can get away with 3" risers, should I go bigger than 2", maybe try the 3"?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
if you have a 950 you can. i should revise that i don't have "plenty of slack", but it's just enough to work.
Thanks, bevo, I do ride a 950 and I ordered my risers yesterday but I decided to play it safe and stick with the 2". I think it will be enough to be a little more comfortable, without putting any strain anywhere.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Update

After a delay in shipping, I finally got my Rox Speed FX pivoting risers. I stuck with the 2" size and got them installed today. It was easy-peasy except...completely re-tightening the rear bolts on the stock risers is not possible with the new risers tilted to the rear, there's no room to get an allen wrench under the new risers to tighten the bolts on the stock ones. I called their office and, wonder of wonders, an actual human picked up and talked to me about it. I just needed to tilt the new ones forward, tighten the rear bolts on the stock just to the point where I could still pull the new risers back where I want them, then use the front bolts as the 'pinch' bolts and tighten them down good. He guaranteed that it would be safe :|

In all seriousness, I think it is a secure installation and, although I thought the brake line would be the issue, it's actually the throttle cables which are about as taut as I would be comfortable with, when the handlebars are turned full right. I did cut off the wire guide, just for that extra mm or two.

The risers are nicely machined and seem to be of very high quality. The design also allows for infinite adjustment so you can find that 'Goldilocks ' spot.
Although not a radical change, I think it will make a world of difference in my comfort level.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
So, having ridden with the risers for about 3 weeks I have noticed less tension in my back, neck, and shoulders, and just having a little more bend at the elbows feels more relaxed. A small change but with noticeable results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts