Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally bit the bullet and traded my trusty 2007 suzuki blvd c50 in on a a new left over inventory 2008 road star. after getting a windshield, light bar, highway bar installed, i should be able to pick up this friday. i know this has been probably asked alot, but i would appreciate any advice, tips, observations, opinions on the road star from you guys that have been riding them. thanks, scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
i finally bit the bullet and traded my trusty 2007 suzuki blvd c50 in on a a new left over inventory 2008 road star. after getting a windshield, light bar, highway bar installed, i should be able to pick up this friday. i know this has been probably asked alot, but i would appreciate any advice, tips, observations, opinions on the road star from you guys that have been riding them. thanks, scott
Big step up from a C50. Hold on tight when you twist the throttle.:D

·
Registered
845 Posts
Never rode one, just wanted to say it is one heck of an awesome looking bike, Im sure your thrilled, good luck with it and I agree with the post above. HOLD ON TIGHT! *L*

Not sure if you know, I came from a C50 too.
Even with my 1300 the difference in power is awesome and a world of difference on the interstate.
Now I feel like I belong there (interstate) on the C50 I felt like I was just getting by.
I think you are going to be amazed. The c50 was a great bike but the feeling of power in going to be great, heck, your not going to have any shortage of power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never rode one, just wanted to say it is one heck of an awesome looking bike, Im sure your thrilled, good luck with it and I agree with the post above. HOLD ON TIGHT! *L*

Not sure if you know, I came from a C50 too.
Even with my 1300 the difference in power is awesome and a world of difference on the interstate.
Now I feel like I belong there (interstate) on the C50 I felt like I was just getting by.
I think you are going to be amazed. The c50 was a great bike but the feeling of power in going to be great, heck, your not going to have any shortage of power.
i had the same feelings on the c50. it was a great bike up to about 60-65mph. i rode my wifes vstar 650 last sunday for about 100 miles. i had only ridden it a couple of times on short trips. man , it is a fun ride. honestly have to say just as much fun, if not more than the c50.. actually seemed better balanced. not as much power, but felt more stable even out on the hwy. the 1300 was a close 2nd in my choice to upgrage, love the fact that they are watercooled. i just couldn't pass up the good deal on the road star, quite a few 2008 & 2009 brand new models left at the dealerships, full warranty, never had gas in the tank. i'll post some pics after i get it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's a big bike. It has a TON of power. 1670cc vs 817cc. You are more than doubling your displacement.

Also, there's more weight. A lot more. Be careful until you get used to it, it would suck to have it fall over on you. Be careful about holding on to the handlebar too, if you twist the throttle you may find yourself in the back seat.

It's low and heavy but well balanced. I can ride down the highway all day with no hands and it's just a dream. But I also have throttle lock/cruise control, which is an incredible feature that I recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a big bike. It has a TON of power. 1670cc vs 817cc. You are more than doubling your displacement.

Also, there's more weight. A lot more. Be careful until you get used to it, it would suck to have it fall over on you. Be careful about holding on to the handlebar too, if you twist the throttle you may find yourself in the back seat.

It's low and heavy but well balanced. I can ride down the highway all day with no hands and it's just a dream. But I also have throttle lock/cruise control, which is an incredible feature that I recommend to anyone.
FATJAY,,sound advice, thanks, i have learned one thing about riding motorcycles over the years whether they are dirt, crusiers, street, you don't need to fear them, but you better respect them and not get too "comfortable" on them. i will be taking it easy on some country roads this weekend to get used to the size and weight difference for sure. the main thing is to enjoy the ride, and i wasn't happy with the c50 out on the highway. had plenty of power, but not as stable as i wanted. fun as can be on winding country roads, but lacking alot of stability out on the highway.soon as i get my saddle bags on i will try to post a pic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st ride on the road star

Picked up my new road star this afternoon. Went on a short 50 mile ride. 1 word awesome, I have ridden 250cc, 650 CC, 800cc macines but this 1700cc machine is by far the smoothest easy ride I have had. Even at slow speed or out on country roads best balance easiest to ride than even my Suzuki c50. I couldn't be more happier. Cruising at 65mph is effortless in 4th gear. Almost like ur floating down the road

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats and similar story

I traded my Volusia (basically a carbed C50) for a leftover 09 Raider 2 weeks ago today. Love the change but wow what a difference from 800 to 1900 cc. LOL The first time on the highway I realized at 65 I was still in 4th...much more comfy. Enjoy the bigger bike!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts