Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

pics of my raider with a 240 tire

19K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  xmanrigger 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought this thread might be helpful to those wanting to go 240 and need proof. I had an Avon Cobra 240/40/r18 tire installed on the rear of my raider yesterday . I will sau that people are correct. It handles just as good if not a little better with the 240. After gaining just under 4000 freaking miles on my metzeler 210 it was time for a change.

See less See more
Reactions: jpeteyjr
#3 ·
Right side clearance. As you can see it fits well with no scrubs. And has way deeper tread than the stinking ass metzeler 210 did.

#6 ·
It does handle very well. I will change the front tire too, most likely when this rear bites the dust. No sense in changing a good front. sure am ready to see it go though :)

#8 ·
No I didn't measure. Its a about a half inch from the swing arm. All I know is it fits like a glove and never scrapes or scrubs or rubs and handles good

#12 ·
Thanks for the heads-up. I was wanting a fatter tire in the back, but was wondering about fitment and handling.

Ordered same tire from Canada's Motorcycle. $248 and free shipping.
I made a jig in my garage for breaking the bead on the rear tire. I remove the old rubber and bring new tire and rim to my buddy at tire shop and he mounts it free of charge. Takes him literally 2 minutes or less.
I have raced and rode dirtbikes for 20+ years, so changing a tire didnt seem that difficult of a task. Well, um ya. Dirtbike tires and a low profile 210 street bike tire are two very different creatures! Breaking the bead on the rear tire even with the jig I made was a real BITCH! Then, it wasnt untill I damaged the bead on the new rear tire that I discovered it was next impossible to install the tire by hand without damaging it. Even using proper tire irons.

#13 · (Edited)
It rides just a bit higher since its a taller tire than the stock tire, but I just think thats a plus. You can lean in to the turns harder! Loved that stryker! Just picked up the new 2014 Raider SCL though, so its doubtful I will ever ride my stryker again. Probably sell it in the spring.

Too bad about your new tire.. :( that sucks... Why not just take it to a bike shop? seriously its like $80 to swap the rubber. better than losing $200 on a damaged tire.

#14 ·
Congrats on your new purchase. You are going to have a perma-grin on your face. Even bigger grin after you destroy your first HD. I am a small dude at 5'7" and 140lbs. A couple HD guys laughed cuz they thought the bike was to big for me and I couldnt handle it. They were almost in tears at the end of the ride because my $20,000 Jap bike destroys their $50,0000 HDs. As far as not being able to handle it, I wonder then why they are left in the dust as soon as any technical riding comes about. Sure an HD can go really really fast in a straight line, but try and turn it at speed.

Here is an indication as to how well the Raider corners. The flat spot on my pipe is from scraping the road in corners. For the pipe to hit, the footpeg has to hit first, and that is leaning low. This wasnt from one scrape, but multiple. I do notice my footpegs dragging, but dont notice the pipe strike. Other than the first or second time it happened, no other of these instances made me feel uncomfortable or sketchy loosing control. The bitch corners!
[/URL][/IMG]

Ya, the Raider is a beast compared to the Stryker. Turning was never a problem for the Raider. I never thought about the tire being higher as you mentioned though.

I did damage the bead somewhat, but my buddy at tire shop said it would be good. I have almost 4,000km on it and it has been good.

The reason I attempted to do the tire change myself wasnt because I was being cheap. There are a couple reasons. Mainly because there is only one bike shop here that will mount motorcycle tires. None of the car and truck shops will. So when I have a tire to be change, I want it changed. As I said, I now just remove the old tire and my buddy mounts the new free of charge. The second reason is because I am a fairly competent back-yard mechanic. Money saved by doing work myself can be spent buying goodies for my bike. I changed a kazzilion dirtbike tires by hand and they are a piece of piss to do. 10 minutes and done. So I figured I would at least attempt to change one on the Raider. The front tire isnt bad, it is the rear tire that is a bitch. Dammage occurs when trying to get the last little bit of the tire bead over the lip of the rim. Just wont stretch enough with tire irons. Tire machine doesnt need to lift and stretch bead as much.

Anyways, enjoy your new ride. Oh, and the ladies love the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.