Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
take the rider seat off,

take off the 2 10mm nuts in the front of the rear seat.

take off the 4 10mm nuts holding the two brackets on.

go to Advance, and buy the upholstery button assortment.

find 4 that match, push them in.

use blow dryer to peel off the protective clear tape pads.

all the pics

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
yeah i did this to my bike, but i couldn't get the bracket off that's directly behind the main seat without stripping the head of the screw so i just left that bracket on there. and i don't want to take off the protective film because i'd like to be able to put the seat back on when i plan on having a honey on the back, and don't want to scratch up the paint

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have one yet, but I'm planning on purchasing one soon as I get my car paid off. - I recently rendered a vague image of what the bike would look like with the Raider exhaust (not sure if it's possible), the rear seat removed, and the rear lowered a couple inches - looks friggin sweet! Then I found your post and that confirmed how good it actually looks without the rear seat!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird, it's an excellent bike, we got ours out the door around MSRP including tax. you can't beat that price.

drilling the OEM exhaust is ~$20 or for drill parts,
lowering is ~$40 on ebay.

and BANG, you got one heck of a bike.

you will love it, and your friends will be jealous.

the Four Valve motor is the way to go!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That looks really good, nice clean look and also good looking bike.

Mike

I think you might have inspired me to do this, going home to see what its going to look like.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lowes Lumber has a bunch of those plastic buttons for the fender in their hardware aisle.

it's a GOOD bike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Better Seat for the 950

Has anyone found a better seat for the 950 at a decent price? The stock seat on my 950 tourer gets a hot spot on the tail bone after ahout an hour. Corbin has one that looks real nice but it's some big coin. (about $700 with back rest). But I suppose you get what you pay for. Didn't know if someone else found something they've tried that works real well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That looks sick, but I like having my passenger seat ready to go for my girlfriend. However, for those without significant others or that have found a way to keep the paint from being scratched when reinstalling the second seat when needed, the bike looks really, really good. :) Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks Good!

I has a 950 Tourer (Black Cherry) that I'm in the process of modifying/customizing. I already have a Mustang tank bib w/ pouch on the bike and have a Mustang fender bib waiting to be put on. I'm waiting for my quick release sissy bar hardware kit to come in at the dealership. That will allow me to remove my current sissy bar and still have my saddle bags mounted. Then the rear seat goes and the fender bib goes on.

Flip.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone found a better seat for the 950 at a decent price? The stock seat on my 950 tourer gets a hot spot on the tail bone after ahout an hour. .
the stock seat is just a piece of foam about a half inch thick

pull out the staples on the rear perimeter, and slip a new piece of foam in there.
then get a mild stapler with SHORT staples, and staple it back down.
it's really not a big deal.
i find different densities of packing foam all over at my job, in the shipping dept

your butt bone will thank you.

we paid $300 for a custom seat,
but another local shop wanted $150 for one (long story...)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out ultimateseats.ca

They had a display at Roar to the Shore in Wildwood, NJ, and one at Delmarva Bike Week in Ocean City, MD. They had a display that allows you to sit on the seat for your particular bike. I am considering a solo seat for my '08 V Star 1100. It looked good and was really comfortable.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Instead of using foam, why not use a gel pad?

Flip
Was wondering the same thing. Was looking at a gel insert, not motorcycle related and wondering how hard would it be to get under the seat cover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts