Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a shortcut or easier way to get to the pms screws? I've been removing the airbox and pushing up on the rubber intake. I then use a long handle screwdriver, but it is difficult with the pushing up on the rubber intake and the choke cable. I saw a right angle screwdriver online, but reading the reviews some complain of the bend being (at the tip) to long to use. I also saw some replacement screws, but not sure if they would work on my 2004 V Star 650 Classic.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,713 Posts
The replacement thumb screws will work on your bike is the easiest way, but to me they are too expensive for what they are. I use a screwdriver bit, hold between thumb and first finger. Just make sure you have a rag between engine and you hand as engine will burn you. I can't wear gloves trying to get my hand in there. This method has worked for years for me.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some of the bits like in the picture, I'll give those a shot. Has to be easier than the long screwdriver I'm using. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, the Pilot Main screws are adjusted at the factory with the engine on a test fixture, running, with a sensitive O2 sensor sniffing the gasses in each exhaust port.

The carbs are adjusted precisely with instant feedback, then the screw covers are pressed in and the assembly is closed up for good.

They are not intended to be user adjustable, so if you have a difficult time adjusting them, its not just you, they are designed that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts