Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Hard Krome Staggered Straights on my V Star:

And a Radius system on my Custom:

When standing still or next to the bikes, the Custom is LOUDER then the Star. But when riding, the Star is a lot louder (for the rider) than the Custom is. Im thinking about replacing the pipes on the Star to something that goes all the way to the back of the bike to quiet down my ride a bit. I can ride the Custom all day and the pipes dont get to me, but the Star within 30 mins I am wishing I had brought ear plugs. It sounds great with these pipes but I just dont want to take the punishment 100% of the time.

Im thinking these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-Lo-boy-Shotgun-Pipes-Exhaust-Yamaha-V-Star-1100-Custom-Classic-Silverado-/321259119478?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:V+Star+1100&hash=item4acc892376&vxp=mtr

or These:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Burner-Exhaust-Pipe-Yamaha-V-Star-1100-RB-01-4020-14-/121207288708?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c38847384&vxp=mtr

I know the Custom dumps to the ground and that likely helps but I dont think theres a pipe out there for the 1100 than dumps to the ground.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have Hard Krome Staggered Straights on my V Star:

And a Radius system on my Custom:

When standing still or next to the bikes, the Custom is LOUDER then the Star. But when riding, the Star is a lot louder (for the rider) than the Custom is. Im thinking about replacing the pipes on the Star to something that goes all the way to the back of the bike to quiet down my ride a bit. I can ride the Custom all day and the pipes dont get to me, but the Star within 30 mins I am wishing I had brought ear plugs. It sounds great with these pipes but I just dont want to take the punishment 100% of the time.

Im thinking these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-Lo-boy-Shotgun-Pipes-Exhaust-Yamaha-V-Star-1100-Custom-Classic-Silverado-/321259119478?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:V+Star+1100&hash=item4acc892376&vxp=mtr

or These:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Burner-Exhaust-Pipe-Yamaha-V-Star-1100-RB-01-4020-14-/121207288708?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c38847384&vxp=mtr

I know the Custom dumps to the ground and that likely helps but I dont think theres a pipe out there for the 1100 than dumps to the ground.
i have cobra longs and after a couple hours they get to me where i dont want to give it any throttle by the way that is one beutiful bike,damn i cant spell,its probably the downsweep on the pipes

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
take a look at samson worlord rippsaws. they turn down at the end and come with removeable baffles. I have them on my 1100 classic and im happy with the look and sound. both pipes exit near the axle so the sound is more behind you when riding. the custom you have is sweet!! but lots of chrome to keep clean.:eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice choice. Before I bought my pipes I thought I wanted hard krome side burners. Then I bought mine for 250 bucks with 1800 miles on them.
And now I only like the looks of the two long pipes on one side. Not a big fan of the sound that comes from the side burner, and can't get enough of mine. Enjoy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Man kent if you think those are loud you should hear the straight pipe no baffles on my roadstar I just had done... My neighbor 4 houses over came over to see the drag car i had my garage... yes baffles are going in but DANG its loud. I know a lot of guys who ride with ear plugs anyways as the wind get to the ears at 50+ but I think they make a baffle to fit your pipes that makes less loud. Or you can always pull the ones out and wrap them with fiberglass and insert them back in.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have baffles, Ive had them out before. They are solid, I cannot wrap them even if I wanted to! It sounds great but I just dont want it to exit right at my ear anymore! At least thats the theory! LOL Either way, Once I sold the staggered straights the new ones arent really costing me that much so no big deal. I like the look better (for my bike) anyways!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the info here and especially from 87stocker. Just purchased a 2012 VStar 950T. I was also looking at the Hard Krome sidewinder pipes which seem to sound amazing and better than Cobras after watching many YouTube videos and searching forums. But you say you like yours better? Is there a good video out there or do you have one you can share of how your bike sounds with your road burners? Also, I'd like to add heat covers on, but don't know if they go with all types of pipes? I'd like a black look, either in the pipes or putting some heat shields on. Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
196 Posts
If I remember to take a vid tonight I will. Myself I think the cobras and the road burners that I have sound similar. Even though the cobras have the cross over in them. Mine are deffinitly louder than hard krome road burners behind a 1600 roadstar at an idle. But once a guy is cruising to me with a open face helmet and usually my belaclava type thing covering most of my ear I don't mind the noise. Its tough to recomend pipes for people, because some peoples ears hear some frequencies louder than others. The other thing to keep in mind is where the pipes exit in relation to the underside of the saddle bag. Or even if you ride with saddle bags. They play a huge factor in where the sound is directed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
take a look at samson worlord rippsaws. they turn down at the end and come with removeable baffles. I have them on my 1100 classic and im happy with the look and sound. both pipes exit near the axle so the sound is more behind you when riding. the custom you have is sweet!! but lots of chrome to keep clean.:eek:
I agree. Sorry to come in at such a late point in the discussion. Hope you're happy with the choice that you made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ripsaws look good and I like the drop to the ground look. Do pipes that normally fit the 1100/1300s fit the 950T? I've noticed many pipes sites will be labeled for the XVS950 or 1100s, but nothing for choosing the 950T model. The bikes look similar. Would the pipes fit? Also what's a good site to order pipes and accessories? I live overseas so sometimes it's hard to find places that ship to APO boxes for military. Thanks. -KNic

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ripsaws look good and I like the drop to the ground look. Do pipes that normally fit the 1100/1300s fit the 950T? I've noticed many pipes sites will be labeled for the XVS950 or 1100s, but nothing for choosing the 950T model. The bikes look similar. Would the pipes fit? Also what's a good site to order pipes and accessories? I live overseas so sometimes it's hard to find places that ship to APO boxes for military. Thanks. -KNic

I would suggest that you call the Samson company and talk to them before you order as I don't think that the touring model would have a different mounting system, but I'm not positive and they would be. Then, if you do run into problems you also would have the name of a person who works there to reference in future correspondence.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts