Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Question for you. I have HK Strippers...and the noise associated headaches that come with 2 hours on the bike. I added the Smartpartz baffles and they're a bit quieter, but I feel like I'm losing some top end. Not that I want to spend money on new pipes, but what differences would I see with the Cobra Classic Deluxe Slashcuts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Cobra had mentioned on their site that these were quieter than their other pipes. I don't mind loud ( I have a DG-O on my XR650L). I just want my fillings to stay in my head...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Administrator
13,302 Posts
my guess is the Cobra pipes would probably be even louder because of the larger tail openings than the HK. but any free flowing straight pipes are going to be comparable in decibels. if you really want something quieter, you're probably going to be looking at a slip-on muffler on the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... I don't mind loud ( I have a DG-O on my XR650L). I just want my fillings to stay in my head...
Hahaha... I tried quite a few mods to get the DG slip-on on my DRZ400 to be tolerable at highway speeds but sometimes the stock muffler is the only alternative. Now I'm battling with the slash-cuts on my XVS650 which sound good around town but get obnoxious at WOT or on the highway for hours on end (a reason I wear earplugs). If my baffle mods don't work well with the chrome Baron 2" pipes I recently acquired then I'm going to weld up a 2-1 exhaust from scratch with a Delkevic 350mm can... I'm sick of listening to a couple of slash-cuts that at highway speeds sound like a synched pair of red-lined lawn mowers running on beer and bubba-sweat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may just stick with ear plugs. I was just curious as Cobra stated on their page that the ones I was looking at were not as loud as the rest of their line. Anyone have experience with Bubs? I can get a set for a couple hundred bones.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha... I tried quite a few mods to get the DG slip-on on my DRZ400 to be tolerable at highway speeds but sometimes the stock muffler is the only alternative. Now I'm battling with the slash-cuts on my XVS650 which sound good around town but get obnoxious at WOT or on the highway for hours on end (a reason I wear earplugs). If my baffle mods don't work well with the chrome Baron 2" pipes I recently acquired then I'm going to weld up a 2-1 exhaust from scratch with a Delkevic 350mm can... I'm sick of listening to a couple of slash-cuts that at highway speeds sound like a synched pair of red-lined lawn mowers running on beer and bubba-sweat.
So you're saying that someone finally found something useful to do with Coors Lite?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i made my own baffles for 2.5 HC pipes i used danco sink drain cups installed in the baffles that came with the pipes and i got the sound i wanted. i had to go from the oem#90 main to a 105 and set the mix screws to 3 out to get it to run the way i wanted

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i made my own baffles for 2.5 HC pipes i used danco sink drain cups installed in the baffles that came with the pipes and i got the sound i wanted. i had to go from the oem#90 main to a 105 and set the mix screws to 3 out to get it to run the way i wanted
The HK Strippers baffles are welded in. I'm wondering how much difference longer pipes would make. The HK's don't even make it to the rear axle.

For reference, I'm running SS pods with 152.5 mains and 20 pilots. I have MM mix screws at about 1 turn out. (MM's are roughly half as many turns as stock)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts