Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left yesterday with my girlfriend to go for a long anticipated ride. Gassed up and stopped at local Yamaha dealer for a couple things and then headed down the street. Didn't get one mile when a lady ran a red light and cut me off. I couldn't avoid her but I was able to avoid a T-bone collision. My front tire hit the right rear tire/RR door area of her car. My girl and I were thrown about 30 feet, landing on the pavement. I sustained a few bruises and spots of road rash (miraculously) and my wrists are sprained. My girlfriend didn't fare so well- she's still in the trauma center of a nearby major med center with several broken ribs, a punctured lung and a concussion. She will be ok eventually but it will take some time. We are both so lucky, thank God for helmets and leather jackets. The lady was in the lane coming toward me , making a left turn. I had a green light which means she had a red arrow. She told the cop that she saw an arrow for her lane but she DOESNT KNOW WHAT COLOR IT WAS!
It would take me too long to say all I feel about this but I'm sure you can all relate. I was just thinking a couple days ago I wanted to get one of the modulators that make the headlight flash during the day. I know I will before I ride agaain and I think also a bright yellow/green vest. Don't know yet if the bike is totalled or not but I hope it can be fixed. I think the damage is all front end and the frame is OK. Does anyone have any info on good sources for used bike parts in case mine is repairable? Any info is appreciated

·
Registered
821 Posts
That really sucks man. Glad you're alright, hope your girl does better soon.:(

·
Registered
778 Posts
Our prayers go with you through this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry about the accident. But man...people don't pay attention to what they are doing anymore. You got people talkin' on a phone or texting and driving at the same time. And shoot...most of them probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time. People just don't pay attention.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to hear that hope you get well and your girl to a feel your anger I was hit last april
buy hit and run driver ,went through broken ankle major road rash and 1500. dollars to repair my star.Cagers are very careless.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
sad news but good to hear you're okay and your girl friend will pull thru. Good luck on the repairs to the bike. I'd say the best place to begin searching for new or replacement parts is right here. When you get a chance to assess, put up a list of what you need right here on this forum. Maybe the Admin and Moderators can make it a sticky until you tell them to take it down. But if you do, update it on a regular basis so we all know what you got and what you still need.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Hopefully Ms.Clueless is found 100% at fault and your repairs will be covered by her insurance. If the adjuster totals it, you get the option to buy it back and rebuild.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I hope your friend will recover quickly. I'm really sorry this happened to you. There are so incompetent on the roads! Courage anyway!

·
Registered
923 Posts
So sorry to hear about the accident brother! You and your girlfriend are in our prayers. Just driving home in my truck I couldn't count the number of people talking on cell phones even though Maryland passed a handsfree law last year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the modulator on my classic best 100(cdn) ever spent its visibility is great i have cagers pulling over etc . I wish you well and and good recovery, I drive like they are all out to get me glenn

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cagers

I am glad you're OK and wish a quick recovery to your GF. I found out that passing lamps do help as well to improve visibility. During the day time I ride with my passing lights and hi-beam on. Curiously, most of the time I had a cager cut me off is a night when I have to ride with my low beam on and passing lights off.

Ride safe

:)

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
sorry to hear about the accident. good idea trying to make yourself as visible as possible, but there are people that are going to to not notice you no matter what you do. sometimes people are just careless. my brother-in-law used to honk his horn every time he went through any intersection.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am glad you're OK and wish a quick recovery to your GF. I found out that passing lamps do help as well to improve visibility. During the day time I ride with my passing lights and hi-beam on. Curiously, most of the time I had a cager cut me off is a night when I have to ride with my low beam on and passing lights off.

Ride safe

A couple of diodes will fix that. Feed from both sources with diodes in line and you'll have the passing lamps on high and low. Only problem is it's illegal but who cares if you're seen.

Another good addition is the Kuryakyn Triple Whammy for your rear lights. It's is an excellent addition in that it turns your outboard turn signals into run - turn - brake lights and will flash your brake lights three times before going solid. Add all LED's and you're lit up like a Christmas Tree in the rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
accident

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope your girlfriend pulls through OK. A word of caution though, the insurance adjuster will screw you if they can. If your bike is fixable, get some advice on negoating a settlement price. Repairs will take a while. If your bike is totaled, get at least 4-5 good solid comps to fight the insurance guy with. Good luck.

AD

·
Registered
89 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Hope your gf pulls through and continues to ride and the bike is fixable. If there is any justice the cager will get the book thrown at her.

Glad your safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts