Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for any tips on restoring the very pitted chrome on my exhaust pipes. The pitting is very dense on one of the pipes. I've already chemically removed the rust (Rust-Oleum's Rust Dissolver).

With the rust removed, can I simply wet-sand it down and polish it like you would with corroded aluminum?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,649 Posts
I’ve seen what both Bevo and Deeks referred to, other than re-chroming, I’d try those first but that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,549 Posts
yeah if your pits are deep enough then no amount of polishing is going to cover them up and would need to be re-chromed to be fixed. some might say to never use any steel wool on a chrome or polished finish but they specifically make a very very fine steel wool precisely for polishing shiny metals.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
429 Posts
I have used tin foil and soapy water to remove rust and pitting from chrome with decent results. It will depend on how deep the pitting is to how well it cleans up.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
279 Posts
I have used the tinfoil and soapy water too. The aluminum colors the rusty pits so they are harder to see.
If it's not too bad ,it will look great from 6 feet away. Tell people to social distance from your bike!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
After watching the video I like the product. My only concern is how it would do with the heat of the exhaust. I can think of a lot of places it would be great. It also reminds me of the chrome on plastic 650 head covers.

I looked it up and here is the product, you can probably contact them and ask how it would do on an exhaust

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I have always done it. I found it was the easy way to get off water spots. I used to wax the winshiled on my 69 coronet 440. It worked like rain-x before rain-x. That was 40 years ago.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I still wax the windshield on the motorcycle, rain comes off faster and any sand crazing it fills this in , keeping the windshield clear... just insure it is safe for clearcoat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts