Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides changing the oil, checking all the fluids and my brakes. Any suggestions of things to prep for or to bring for a longish road trip?

Me n some friends are planning to cover a few thousand miles over July 4th weekend, From San Diego across most of the Sierra Nevada Passes, possibly as far north as Tahoe.

I normally just commute, so if anything starts to look worn I am able to quickly address it.

Tires look good and should be fine for the trip.

The bike has 14k on it, do I need to worry about the Drive Belt?

I have a 2007 Vstar 1300 Touring, so I will be filling the Saddles and bringing a rear bag. I am borrowing a friends Backpacking Sleeping back, Packs down super small, and a small pillow that compresses for back packing. I figure packing this thing up with backpacking type equipment might be the best route - We plan to camp each night. I figure on a few pairs of socks n underwear, perhaps a second pair of jeans in case the first get too dirty? It is only 2 nights of Camping as I think we will have a place to stay the first night.

just looking for some general comments from those who have done trips like this before.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I am anxious to go on my first camping road trip. How about some ibuprofen in case of back soreness and sun glasses.

Loup

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hydration and diet management are key to feeling good on the road. Drink plenty of water before and during your ride and each night. Heavy meals for breakfast and lunch actually take energy and make you feel lethargic. Light snacks on the road at fuel stops are good. Of course caffeinated drinks on the road are dehydrating.

Use lip balm and sunscreen and take eye drops just in case. A collapsing cooler for the campsite to keep evening refreshments cool is useful and can double as a portable sink. You might need some type of folding stool or chair at the camp site.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just have fun.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Get a can of "Fix a flat" or similar. You never know but might save you from sitting on the side of the road. The can inflates the tire and seals leaks. Less then $10. I never leave home without it, never needed it either.

Or a small air pump and plug kit if you dont have spokes. I carry both on long trips.

and yes ... sunscreen!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike is all packed up, heading out tonight:

I will post a ride report with pics n video etc when I get back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Enjoy the journey

Bike looks good. Just got back from Atlanta to Ft Bragg, California. The trip taught me quite a bit about packing light and only packing the essentials. Have a safe a fun trip.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
One remark if you don't mind too much.

Your sleeping bag hangs quite far down, which I think makes it (nearly) impossible to ready your license plate - a cop may stop you for that.

I'd suggest to attach the sleeping bag between backpack and top box; that way it will also be a lot more difficult to accidentally lose it.

Have great fun on your trip, and a safe ride!

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One remark if you don't mind too much.

Your sleeping bag hangs quite far down, which I think makes it (nearly) impossible to ready your license plate - a cop may stop you for that.

I'd suggest to attach the sleeping bag between backpack and top box; that way it will also be a lot more difficult to accidentally lose it.

Have great fun on your trip, and a safe ride!

Kind regards, Wim
I see what you are getting at, but I ended up having no issues and we saw a number of Police, Forrest Rangers and Highway patrol over the weekend.

Also, i had the straps going through the handle, so it was pretty secure.

I will post up a ride report with pics and video in the next few days, but I had a great time, 1456 miles in three days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts