Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Happy Forum Family. Wanted to ask what everyone uses to shine and protect the plastic parts and rubber buttons on the tank.
I was using the one size fits all spray wax and cleaner but the plastic is getting a little dull and normally I would use the new ArmorAll shine wipe-on stuff but before I go and lube up the plastic with this I wanted to get some input.
Thanks All

·
Registered
691 Posts
Two products will do the trick:

1. Bug Slide, great product I use it on my motorcycle and my car and truck.

2. 303 Protectant interior & Exterior

Bug Slide you can order online or find it at most Harley dealers.

303 Protectant you can find at AutoZone and other auto parts stores.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two products will do the trick:

1. Bug Slide, great product I use it on my motorcycle and my car and truck.

2. 303 Protectant interior & Exterior

Bug Slide you can order online or find it at most Harley dealers.

303 Protectant you can find at AutoZone and other auto parts stores.
Hey Happy Forum Family. Wanted to ask what everyone uses to shine and protect the plastic parts and rubber buttons on the tank.
I was using the one size fits all spray wax and cleaner but the plastic is getting a little dull and normally I would use the new ArmorAll shine wipe-on stuff but before I go and lube up the plastic with this I wanted to get some input.
Thanks All
I’ve used a leather/vinyl/plastic sealant for years that you can’t buy off the shelf, but I can’t get it anymore and may have to look into the 303. I used to use ArmorAll (over 20 years ago) but stopped due to the residue attracting more dirt and dust. Haven’t looked at their stuff in years, so maybe they’ve addressed that.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks All
Do not use Armorall! It has a reputation that over time it will suck the emollients out of the plastic that make it pliable and it makes it BRITTLE.
There’s a product Turtle Wax makes that doesn’t do that, it’s what I use but I can’t remeber the name off the top of my head.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I picked up a thing of Mother's Back to Black and so far it seems to do the trick. Only applied it once last month and brought the luster back. Have washed it a few times since. Key thing now is to try to minimize getting wax on the plastic bits in the meantime.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to read up on all to see how to apply, when to apply, and on what each can be used on. I will buy all maybe and then try them and see what works best or what I think works best.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I am going to read up on all to see how to apply, when to apply, and on what each can be used on. I will buy all maybe and then try them and see what works best or what I think works best.
Thanks again everyone.
I just bought some 303 the other day. Never tried it but I’ve heard good things. We’ll see how it does.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just bought some 303 the other day. Never tried it but I’ve heard good things. We’ll see how it does.
303 is good stuff I use it on the bike on the rubber and black plastic parts, I also use it on my Ram 2500 on the hard bed cover, I have a fold up cover and it has some rubber parts on it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
303 is good stuff I use it on the bike on the rubber and black plastic parts, I also use it on my Ram 2500 on the hard bed cover, I have a fold up cover and it has some rubber parts on it.
I ordered the 303 from Amazon yesterday and it will be here tomorrow (Thursday).
I read up on it and this does seem to be some good stuff.
Question: Do you use this 303 on any of the painted plastic, saddle bags from fairing? Usually I use mother's on these parts and between washes and waxes I use the spay wax and shine.

·
Registered
691 Posts

I ordered the 303 from Amazon yesterday and it will be here tomorrow (Thursday).
I read up on it and this does seem to be some good stuff.
Question: Do you use this 303 on any of the painted plastic, saddle bags from fairing? Usually I use mother's on these parts and between washes and waxes I use the spay wax and shine.
I do not use 303 on any painted surface, only on the black plastic surfaces, the rubber seals, the rubber piece on the front of the trunk lid that covers the top of the passenger back rest and rubber button covers on the fuel tank buttons.

On the painted surfaces I use bug slide, from time to time I will also use the bug slide on the plastic surfaces as well.

With the 303 you can spray some on a microfiber towel and wipe on areas you don't want to get over spray on.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not use 303 on any painted surface, only on the black plastic surfaces, the rubber seals, the rubber piece on the front of the trunk lid that covers the top of the passenger back rest and rubber button covers on the fuel tank buttons.

On the painted surfaces I use bug slide, from time to time I will also use the bug slide on the plastic surfaces as well.

With the 303 you can spray some on a microfiber towel and wipe on areas you don't want to get over spray on.
Perfect, thanks American. This is exactly what I was hoping.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You wash your bike? I figure when I ride in the rain or don't get the cover on the bike before it rains. She gets a bath.
I absolutely wash her! This is why my bike (last one) still looked showroom new with over 120,000 miles on her. Such as in this pic! Now granted I may be a bit OCD because I had various sized & types of brushes to be able to clean off engine fins and other nooks and crannies. Took me about 4.5 hrs to detail her.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I absolutely wash her! This is why my bike (last one) still looked showroom new with over 120,000 miles on her. Such as in this pic! Now granted I may be a bit OCD because I had various sized & types of brushes to be able to clean off engine fins and other nooks and crannies. Took me about 4.5 hrs to detail her.
I spend more time with my bike wife than anyone else. My wife is a close second. 😉

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've been caught in an extraordinary amount of rain this summer. My OCD can't tolerate mud and water spots on chrome and paint. When I get home I use a leaf blower to dry the bike. I used to have a Metro Air Force Master Blaster my wife bought me but when I sold my last bike I didn't know if I'd have another so I threw it in with the deal. I really regret that. The leaf blower works but the forced hot air with many attachments was awesome. I'll get another one day. After the bike is cool I wash it thoroughly with Meguiar's Gold Class then dry again. I use Bike Spirits spray polish or Eagle One Nevr Dull on the chrome and Meguiar's Quick Detailer on the paint for in between. I buy a lot of microfiber towels.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Something we always seem to forget when recommending products to others....Pictures. I will probably be giving Bonnie a once over this weekend. I will snap a few before and after of the black plastic bits and baubles, though I think there won't be much difference since the plastic is still looking good from the last application haha.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Something we always seem to forget when recommending products to others....Pictures. I will probably be giving Bonnie a once over this weekend. I will snap a few before and after of the black plastic bits and baubles, though I think there won't be much difference since the plastic is still looking good from the last application haha.
Which is why I included the picture!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts