Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Please help with a offer on a Road Star

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  NGM 
#1 ·
What would be a fair offer for a 2004 Road Star Silverado, 38000 miles, has been sitting up for about a year, needs a new front tire, has dead battery and bike not charging, mild rust in fuel tank and probably needs carb rebuilt?

#4 · (Edited)
I'm thinking that with all the work it needs and may need that you don't know about, I'd be in at about $2000. And that would be pushing it. You have no idea what you may get into with the charging system. And depending on where it was stored, you may be looking at a pair of tires instead of just one.

The rust in the tank isn't a real big deal but it will take some work too clean it out and then since it's started to rust, I'd suggest you seal the inside of it.

#5 ·
My response is based more on condition than cost. I would have a tough time purchasing this non-running bike unless it was from a close personal friend. You have no way of truly determining the extent of the problems other than what the seller is telling you. It make take some minor fixes to get it going, but there may be a whole lot more going on from what you're being told and what you can see. With a bike that is currently running, it's a bit easier to judge condition. The 04 is a year that had significant issues with the valves sticking. If you're willing to take the risk, then it may turn out to be a good deal. I wish you good luck!

#6 · (Edited)
A non running bike that someone did not even bother to keep the tank filled?!

Id push it back in the canal and walk away - dont look at what it might be, look at what it is: a parts bike.

you will be taking all the risks of getting it back into running condition, and unless it is DIRT cheap why should you take all the risk?

The previous owner let the bike go dead, that is his loss.

#7 ·
just out of curiosity, why would a 12 year old bike need its carbs rebuilt?

I have driven cars from brand new up to 40 years old, and I have never had to rebuild a carb or replace one over the span of maybe.....40 to 50 cars and motorcycles?

#9 ·
RockyDog, the fact that the owner is a friend of your changes the assumptions of the condition of the bike (compared to buying it from a stranger)

but it opens up a new problem.

I know you do not what to hear this, but it would be wrong for me not to explain it:

I have been around long enough that I would never buy or sell anything as expensive as a car or motorcycle (or boat or house...) from a friend or family member.

With the best intentions things usually work out ok, but sometimes you lose a friend or family member for life. I speak from experience, its generally a bad idea to mix business with friends or family (anything where money changes hands, including loaning or borrowing money...).

No one ever thinks it will go sour for them, until it does.

#11 ·
Based on your explained circumstances, it sounds like a reasonable risk. It just depends on what your final cost will be and if it's acceptable to you. The nada guide low retail for a stock bike in this year/model (running) is about $2800. I would have to be in it for about $2000ish. Good luck!

#12 ·
The no money changing hands can get very dicey with friends too. Please be careful. A vehicle is not worth hurting a friendship. I would say you two work together to get it up and running so everyone is on board with what it took then decide a price from there. You might get into it and realize it is more than the bike is worth and it becomes a parts bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.