Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just bought a vstar 1100 and I love it! I've adjusted the valve lash on it, changed the oil and pain in the a$$ filter, and I just pulled the plugs to check them.

I guess I wasn't paying attention but when I pulled the plugs, but when I put them back in I noticed they don't sit flush!

I saw this pic on line showing the same space

https://assets.howtune.com/articles/157/images/2798/DSCN7759 (Custom)_big.JPG

Is this correct? how is there proper compression or spark location if the plug isn't seated firmly against the head?!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "flush".....they thread into the head and seal the head when you tighten them just like any other internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the actual "bolt" part of the plug does not go all the way down to the head. Usually you can tighten all the way down so that the bolt part (probably not the proper term) compresses the washer against the head. These plugs tighten with about an inch of space left.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
ok, so I took a picture, you can see what I'm talking about. I uploaded to this thread.
you should be able to feel the gasket crush on a new plug. the plug holes aren't tapped vertical so that plug looks right to me, the next time you remove em shine a bright light on the threads in the head but i'll bet there're just fine. if they were leaking you would know it. it would be chirping like a bird and loudly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts