1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
:surprise: Oh my! :surprise:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
what gives the best performance? I'm guessing hypercharger as it gets cold air forced in rather than just sucking in the hot air above the engine
You'd be guessing dead wrong. By about 10-15 HP. The amount of air is far more important than the temperature. Pods flow one hell of a lot more air...so much that you increase jetting from 120 with the HC to 150 for the pods.

If you ever look at a HC in use you'll see the butterflies only open when you're giving it 1/2 throttle or more...so less than 5% of your riding time does that whole imaginary "forced air" thing come into play....the rest of the time the butterflies are mostly closed. That all means what they are selling you is a big pile of snake oil if they are talking performance.

The Hypercharger is only an ornament on an 1100.....they look kinda cool...but do little for performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is more to intake than just allowing more air though.. airboxes themselves generate a vortex type motion to funnel the air in, and lets be honest .. 90% of the time when I want the power the throttle is open anyway so therefor the butterly valves will be too..

is there any dyno graphs to show the differences? Just I know with my TL1000R taking the airbox off for pods would kill the power, granted that is a sports engine but still a big twin

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just did the pods on mine Sunday and it now has noticeably more power and a bit deeper sound when on throttle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
there is more to intake than just allowing more air though.. airboxes themselves generate a vortex type motion to funnel the air in, and lets be honest .. 90% of the time when I want the power the throttle is open anyway so therefor the butterly valves will be too..

is there any dyno graphs to show the differences? Just I know with my TL1000R taking the airbox off for pods would kill the power, granted that is a sports engine but still a big twin
Uhh. Not that I'm a fan of the hypercharger, but wouldn't a dyno test be unfair to it? My understanding is that most of the gain you'd get from one is when you roll on "at speed" not low-end grunt, and isn't at least a significant portion of the power gain supposed to come from the ram-air effect? (unless of course you have a dyno able to blow 50+mph air into the hypercharger...)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did jet the carbs. I went the lazy way for pods and got the setup from SS Custom Cycles, the Chubby intake. Jets and everything needed to do the pods in one convenient box delivered to my door.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen dynos with pretty powerful fans! wont be 100% accurate but still better than standing still..

i think i'd prefer to source the parts myself, anyone know the pods size?

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for that, found the pods for £30 each here in the UK .. any idea where I can find the shims and jets? preferably in the UK, if i start importing stuff I may as well just buy the kit lol

looking at the table I would need .. 17.5 - 20 pilot jets.. 150 main jets.. and 2 0.5mm shims, do the shims have to be plastic?

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Everything I've read and seen on other bikes concurs with sick mick and caseyjones. They're definitely cool, but after I did the performance mods on my 950 I had it dyno'd at a poker run. The tech said the HC is more show than go, and my 360' open air filter, or one like it gives the best performance bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not really an expert on this subject. I can tell you the shims that I got in the kit were metal. I ended up going with 20 pilots and 152.5 mains and it seems to be running perfect. The kit that I got recommended those jet sizes but after I put them in I noticed the Vstar wiki page only suggests 150 mains, I guess as long as it runs well and seems to perform as expected it's all good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts