1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Polaris shuts down production of Victory Motorcycles, liquidating the entire line.

No surprise to me ... but, lets hope they dont do it to Indian some day in the future. Motorcycles are only a tiny part of Polaris Industries, if they dont make money on a line, they shut it down.

Polaris Industries Inc. - Polaris Industries to Wind Down Victory Motorcycles Operations Strengthening its Position in the Powersports Industry

It stinks for anybody who currently owns a Victory, but the company probably did the right thing for their bottom line by concentrating all their motorcycle building efforts on their Indian brand, which has way more potential to effectively compete with Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Too bad, they seemed to offer a pretty decent product. The people I know with Victory bikes have been very happy with them.

They are leaving very little competition in the v twin touring bike segment. I thought the Cross Country Tour looked like a pretty decent alternative to the HD and Indian offerings and $6,000-$8,000 less.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It stinks for anybody who currently owns a Victory, but the company probably did the right thing for their bottom line by concentrating all their motorcycle building efforts on their Indian brand, which has way more potential to effectively compete with Harley Davidson.
Yes, without question Polaris did the right thing for its shareholders. After all, Victory has lost money for the last 2 almost decades. Never been profitable except for a year or 2 if even that.

I agree with "concentrating" their efforts but in reality its not, its not like they are going to double the staffing at Indian. They are going to save money by closing down Victory.

Remember, for Polaris motorcycles are a small part of their business. Not even 15% of their business and that included Victory, Indian and Slingshot.

Now, the real deal on closing down Victory besides its losing money for almost 20 years!

Polaris just bought a Auto Parts Business and this allows them to focus on that.
The cost for the Autoparts business was 650 MILLION DOLLARS so besides Polaris public relations statements, dumping the money losing Victory line frees up resources for their new autoparts business.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have never liked poolaris. They are the hardest 4 wheeler to work on, the bikes do not look any better. They throw too much fru fru crap on their stuff that is not needed. The reliability of the ones I saw was very poor as well.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yes, without question Polaris did the right thing for its shareholders. After all, Victory has lost money for the last 2 almost decades. Never been profitable except for a year or 2 if even that.

I agree with "concentrating" their efforts but in reality its not, its not like they are going to double the staffing at Indian. They are going to save money by closing down Victory.

Remember, for Polaris motorcycles are a small part of their business. Not even 15% of their business and that included Victory, Indian and Slingshot.

Now, the real deal on closing down Victory besides its losing money for almost 20 years!

Polaris just bought a Auto Parts Business and this allows them to focus on that.
The cost for the Autoparts business was 650 MILLION DOLLARS so besides Polaris public relations statements, dumping the money losing Victory line frees up resources for their new autoparts business.

Very well said..... 4 wheel drive Jeep/Truck accessories fit right into their core business. If Indian doesn't perform well.....I can see that going the way Indian has always gone as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
They're also big in sleds. I had 3 Polarises (Polari?) and never had an issue with them.

Had to Google the Slingshot and I have to agree with Dave and klurejr - what the hell is that thing? I don't get the Spyder either, but at least they have handlebars!

·
Super Moderator
6,742 Posts
Every Victory I've met also loved the brand. If Polaris focuses on Indian and keeps the quality as a top priority with continued fair pricing and a good aftermarket, they should be profitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
They're also big in sleds. I had 3 Polarises (Polari?) and never had an issue with them.

Had to Google the Slingshot and I have to agree with Dave and klurejr - what the hell is that thing? I don't get the Spyder either, but at least they have handlebars!
i'v seen at least 5 different slingshots in my area so people are buying them, i looked one over pretty good and didn't like the way it's built, it's has an inline generic looking 4 cylinder engine and really hard looking seats, at least in ct you don't have to look like a goof and wear a helmet when your in it, i think a 10 mph crash would probably total it.the front doesn't look too sturdy

·
Registered
317 Posts
The engines in the Victory's are superior to the old 2 valve per cylinder head Indians. Victory just could never get any traction in the market. Mostly because of that Ultra Modern Ness Harley look. Think Judge Dread and or George Jetson Harley. Yes some liked them but many more hated the look. Also Beside the Octane, all the Victory models as of late were all similar variants with the same engine, without real differences in model to model. This in itself showed massive cost cutting.

In 18 years Victory had 3% of Polaris total sales and Revenue, where Slingshot and Indian had 15% in only 3 years. The Sling Shot is a fad, it will dwindle and then go away, it is illegal to drive on the road in many states. Indian needs new technology and lower priced entry model bikes to make a longer lasting venture. How many times has the Indian brand come and gone over the years.

The reason Indian is popular now, old Iconic brand that predates Harley and the ultra old style look. The general population has always shown they go for retro much much more than ultra modern. Just look at the new US muscle cars that are basically reworked versions of the old classics. Charger, Mustang, etc.

But at least Indian is still around to keep pressure on Harley, and Indian is a more serious competitor to Harley than Victory was. I know a lot of Harley guys who like Indian bikes, but hate Victory.

And Harley has felt the pressure and improved their bikes over the years. The biggest improvement is the new Milwaukee 8 engine which has many of the designs and features that Victory and the Metrics have been doing for years. The Milwaukee 8 engine makes me finally consider a Harley when I finally hit the lottery jackpot.........

·
Administrator
13,666 Posts
i wonder if Polaris had been looking to sell Victory and if they still will at some point in the future. it just seems unconscionable to me that a product this good will just die completely.
i would love to see Polaris double, or even triple down on supporting the Indian brand - make it a serious viable counterpart to Harley, like Chevy vs. Ford. just a dream, probably, since it's difficult, and massively expensive and time-encompassing to shift/alter a hard-coded mindset of society that's been decades in the making: Harley is the epitome of motorcycles.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Also Beside the Octane, all the Victory models as of late were all similar variants with the same engine, without real differences in model to model. This in itself showed massive cost cutting.
The same could be said about Harley. Unless you want the Sportster line up all their bikes come with the Milwaukee 8.

For me 1300cc's is big enough so neither company has a product I'd be interested in buying.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The same could be said about Harley. Unless you want the Sportster line up all their bikes come with the Milwaukee 8.

For me 1300cc's is big enough so neither company has a product I'd be interested in buying.

The Milwaukee 8 is the best engine Harley makes, so yea that would be a good idea......:smile:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The Milwaukee 8 is the best engine Harley makes, so yea that would be a good idea......:smile:
harley finally wised up and went back to the single cam, a lot twincams lunched the chain tensioner and completely destroyed the engine, the worst of it was harley never fessed up that the problem even existed they even changed the tensioner from manual to hydraulic but that only worked for an extra 25 thousand miles

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Every Victory I've met also loved the brand. If Polaris focuses on Indian and keeps the quality as a top priority with continued fair pricing and a good aftermarket, they should be profitable.

I for one am grateful for Indian to keep pressure on Harley.
With that said, Indian is not "fair pricing" by any stretch of the imagination to me, it makes me wonder if Polaris can make the brand work if they need to get those prices.

They have been in business for less then 5 years but command a higher price on their large cruisers then Harley.
Ex. Im a big Road King fan, have a 2014. I checked out the new Indian Springfield, nice bike if you like the looks, hardware seems nice but reviews do mention more heat then the Harley and I live in a hot climate.
Ok but the issue for me is, the darn Indian is priced $1000 more then the Harley.

Anyway, all I am saying is, nothing against Indian or Harley, not at all. But for the Harley bashers out there, the Indians cost just as much and more.

To me, the cost is worth the fit, finish and details, much like a high end automobile.
Cost is all relative to what brings us happiness with a product.

·
Registered
346 Posts
At least the Victory line was more reasonably priced. Especially on the used market. Before I bought the Vstar I was looking at similar size and spec Victory's.

Being that Indian is still pretty new I am not sure what the used market is shaping up to be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts