Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
easier than what? i don't have experience with spoked wheels, but i would probably use a metal polish like Brasso with some ultra fine steel wool, whichever grade you're supposed to use to polish metal.
Brasso like Neverdull is tough to find. Particularly Neverdull polish wading. I think it was environmental issues, but then isn’t everything?
There’s a great product I’ve used for decades called SIMICHROME POLISH. It’s a paste in a small tube but works awesome! If you use iwith a Dremel on a polishing wheel it makes quick work of any polish job.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,040 Posts
I use a clear coat safe polishing compound on me spoked wheels. Any polishing compound that is safe for clear coat paint will clean them up good without causing any damage. Takes some eblow grease, but not too bad. After you get them done put wax on them. It will make them easier to clean between polishing them. This is one I use a lot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers. Yes, there is a bit of rust on my chrome rims. I have no idea when the rims were cleaned and polished the last time. The bike is almost 20 years old and only has 12,000 miles. Luckily, from what I have heard, it spent a lot of time inside a building. So far, the rust does get removed with a bit of elbow grease and a non abrasive polish. What I do want to know....is there a way to polish the rim because the spokes are so close together that I cannot really shine up the rim between the spokes with my fingers. I checked a bunch of sites and did not find anything for polishing between the spokes. I guess an old toothbrush and a small piece of cloth is my best bet. I have a dremel tool but there are few polishing accessories for the Dremel in my area.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Yes, there is a bit of rust on my chrome rims. I have no idea when the rims were cleaned and polished the last time. The bike is almost 20 years old and only has 12,000 miles. Luckily, from what I have heard, it spent a lot of time inside a building. So far, the rust does get removed with a bit of elbow grease and a non abrasive polish. What I do want to know....is there a way to polish the rim because the spokes are so close together that I cannot really shine up the rim between the spokes with my fingers. I checked a bunch of sites and did not find anything for polishing between the spokes. I guess an old toothbrush and a small piece of cloth is my best bet. I have a dremel tool but there are few polishing accessories for the Dremel in my area.
That’s too bad because my first and best tool suggestion is a Dremel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts