Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 52 miles my gauge on the Raider shows 1/2 a tank, i went ahead and topped it off the see how much fuel i use, 1.6 gallons, which is roughly 32.5 mpg. Is this average? Only mods to the bike are cobra swept pipes and fuel commander fi2000. I will admit the first 40 miles or so i did twist the throttle alot:D. Btw, this is in town miles, not hiway. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mileage

Tice,

Not sure if your bike is broken in? That could make a difference. I dont' think your mileage will be much different than my Liner. Stock it can vary a lot from 35 to 50 maybe. I don't get the 50 anymore since all the alcohol is added to the gas.

There is a big difference in what type of riding you do. Highway miles over 60 MPH it goes down. Of course city stop and starts mileage goes down. Best mileage is crousing about 50 to 55 MPH. The throttle makes a really big difference. You can see 10 MPG just on that.

I believe the addon's like exaust, air intake, and controller also cut mileage a little. Of course you gain some power.

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike is broke in, 26,xxx on it, i just got this one two weeks ago. Still waiting til next fill up to see if its any different. My Vstar 650 gets close to 45 in town, which is what i expected from it. Just wandered if the Raiders mpg was average. Thanks for the info Dave.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bike is broke in, 26,xxx on it, i just got this one two weeks ago. Still waiting til next fill up to see if its any different. My Vstar 650 gets close to 45 in town, which is what i expected from it. Just wandered if the Raiders mpg was average. Thanks for the info Dave.
Don't think you have much to worry about, we all get different milage. I think you are on the low end, but others are too. I most always get 50+ on my 1100, but I ride pretty easy. The right hand has a ton to do with your mpg;) Ride safe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my right hand does like to twist it up!!!!! Lol. I have been taken it easy this past week to see how much of a difference it makes, should be a little aleast. Really not too worried unless it drops down more.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Tires

Tice,

Another thing your right hand has a really big bearing on is tire life. With these 1900's hard acceleration is really hard on tires. Mileage can vary from 6,000 to 12,000 miles on that big rear tire.

Just so you know.

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured that would be the case on the tire. Previous owner replaced the rear tire about 4000 miles ago. He keep a good record on everything done to the bike, from oil changes to tires and even what was used. He definetly kept track and care of the bike. I just replaced the front tire, two days after buying it. Owner of the dealership gave me a great deal on it since no one noticed the dry rot on the sidewall.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sounds like great mileage for a bent wrist and town driving. My strat will hit those #s when in town and on the throttle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are your cobra fi settings on? try adjusting them after each tank to see how that affects your gas mileage
Dont know. Didnt know it was adjustable!! Lol:D Guess i need to check it out! Lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, little update, getting even worse mpg's now, down to around 25!!!!. Started doing some searching online, and have even more questions!!!!! Mainly with the Cobra FI2000. Original owner had it installed nov. of 08, the settings are 1 3 2, which is what a lot of guys say to use, so i will let it there for now. In the instructions it says to disconnect the O2 sensor, well it is still hooked up. I know Cobra makes an O2 version of the commander, but i dont know if mine is!!! The only marking on the commander are FI2000. Am I correct in assumeing the O2 sensor needs to be disconnected? I pulled the plugs out today and ithe bike sems to be running a little rich. Probly gonna call cobra tmw and pick their brains about this. Gonna drive me nuts til i figure this out!!! Lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tice, I know this is an old posting but..... If you look at your Fi2000 you can see if it's the O2 version by looking on the top EFI itself. Look where the wires come out, it will have the O2 marking right there on the EFI. You'll see the marking Fi2000 on one end, and the O2 marking on the other end.

Mine shows the Fi2000, and it does hook to the O2 Sensor. I think the one that doesn't use the O2 Sensor is marked Fi2000 R? The EFI on your Raider has one pot that shouldn't be changed from the factory setting. I'll have to look at my settings to see where they are.

My Raider gets 45 MPG on average with the EFI installed. Something isn't right if you're only getting 25 MPG? If you contact me tomorrow I'll go out and look at my settings. This way you can try the way mine is set-up. Also if you disconnect the battery, the computer resets and the mileage will absolutely suck until it learns again. Usually this takes a tank of fuel.

I just purchased a Dynojet Power Commander V I'm getting ready to try out. I got it used for $150.00 so I figure I'd see if this one does anything for power? As settings go, this thing has a ton of them.

Give me a shout at [email protected] and I'll see if we can get the MPG better.

Be Safe,

Bob (silverstreek)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked with Mike at Cobra, mine is the non O2 sensor version. I unplugged it and disconnected the battery, as of last week i have gone 81 miles on about 1/2 tank of fuel (going by the gauge), it is definetly better. Gonna top it off tmw and figure out what im getting. I did pull the plugs and its still running a little rich. For now im just gonna leave it be for now. Need to get up to Tucson and get it dyno'd. Ill try and shoot ya an email tmw. Thanks Bob.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I talked with Mike at Cobra, mine is the non O2 sensor version. I unplugged it and disconnected the battery, as of last week i have gone 81 miles on about 1/2 tank of fuel (going by the gauge), it is definetly better. Gonna top it off tmw and figure out what im getting. I did pull the plugs and its still running a little rich. For now im just gonna leave it be for now. Need to get up to Tucson and get it dyno'd. Ill try and shoot ya an email tmw. Thanks Bob.
Glad you seem to have gotten it straight. Nothing worse than having a nice powerful Raider that gets the same fuel mileage as a full size vehicle.

Let me know how you make out after your dyno. And if there is anything I can help you with (I'll try?) just holler.

Be Safe,

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts